Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Rights to Protect Property

This is silly.

In 2019 there have been 11038 property crimes reported in Seattle. https://www.seattle.gov/police/infor...rime-dashboard

Is it your position that there have been no arrests for those crimes?

Indeed, there are very few arrests and/or convictions for these, and most of the time police will not respond to such reports. Do you live here too?

I did see her going through my car
    You keep saying that. Wouldn't it make sense for you to keep your car locked so people can't go through it. And install an alarm that makes a lot of noise when somebody tampers with the car.

she broke into a neighboring house to hide. The neighbors said that she had broken into the home earlier that day and was getting high on their sofa.
    There must be more to that story. Like maybe she's a relative or family member. Your neighbor's could have easily prevented that by keeping their doors locked. Then if somebody breaks the door to get in, they can meet force with force if they have to.

You keep moaning that there is no police protection. Well, the police aren't there to prevent crimes, they are there to clean up the messes after crimes are committee. When seconds count, the police are minutes away. It's up to the individual to protect himself or herself. But if you decide to do that, you'd better be aware of the potential consequences of not getting it just right.

I realize that itís hard to believe, but it is the way this city is. I have watched people steal from my yard, and knowing they Iím outnumbered, just have to watch them since they arenít acknowledging me. Called the police and they didnít do anything...well actually, some officers came by my house 9-10 hours later so I could file a report. But it didnít matter that I had photos or anything, itís just for statistics.

Quote Quoting AMR1980
    View Post
    Indeed, there are very few arrests and/or convictions for these, and most of the time police will not respond to such reports. Do you live here too?
    No, I don't live there and I don't have to to be able to read the stats.

A quick look at this. https://ingress.kingcounty.gov/Public/JILS/default.aspx shows multiple arrests in the last 24 hours for property crimes.

But here is the WA state law on the use of force. https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.16.020

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    You keep saying that. Wouldn't it make sense for you to keep your car locked so people can't go through it. And install an alarm that makes a lot of noise when somebody tampers with the car.

There must be more to that story. Like maybe she's a relative or family member. Your neighbor's could have easily prevented that by keeping their doors locked. Then if somebody breaks the door to get in, they can meet force with force if they have to.

You keep moaning that there is no police protection. Well, the police aren't there to prevent crimes, they are there to clean up the messes after crimes are committee. When seconds count, the police are minutes away. It's up to the individual to protect himself or herself. But if you decide to do that, you'd better be aware of the potential consequences of not getting it just right.

Indeed, I try to be vigilant about locking my car, but I forgot they day. There is nothing more to the story of the break in, believe it or not. She didnít know anybody there, and she got in when the door was left ajar momentarily.

You miss the point...I called the police after the crime was committed. They caught her in the house and established that she broke in and had no business being there. There were three residents of the house to witnessed it and told the police. Several people witnessed the car break in too and told the police.

It seems like the problem weíre having in this conversation is that people donít believe what Iím saying. I never thought Iíd say this, but check your privilege.

Quote Quoting AMR1980
    View Post
    pg, you must live in a different neighborhood than I do. When we call the police they usually won’t come unless there’s a physical assault occurring. If they do come, they won’t make an arrest property crime.
    Hold on a second. First of all, unless you want to provide specific facts, your comment that, "If they do come they won't make an arrest [for a] property crime," is meaningless. How many such incidents do you have personal knowledge of that are informing your generalized statement? Is it more than the one incident you described? Second, in your original post, you claimed that Seattle police "aren’t allowed to arrest people for property crimes/trespassing etc." That's a statement of law or department policy that simply isn't true. That the police didn't make an arrest in one or more specific situations doesn't have a damn thing to do with what they're "allowed" to do.

Quote Quoting AMR1980
    View Post
    And I will not mind my business if I see people stealing from my neighbors.
    That's fine. You asked what you "could possibly do," and I answered that question. The decision to do or not do one of the "possible" things you "could do" is entirely up to you. Was that not the question you intended to ask?

Quote Quoting AMR1980
    View Post
    either try to be helpful or keep to yourself.
    First of all, this is a public message board, so I'll post as I please until someone associated with whomever operates these boards tells me I may no longer do so. Second, I answered your questions with absolute honesty and accuracy. If you didn't find that helpful, then perhaps you should give more thought to the questions you asked and ask questions that better reflect what you want to know.

Quote Quoting AMR1980
    View Post
    Indeed, there are very few arrests and/or convictions for these, and most of the time police will not respond to such reports.
    How many is "very few"? What evidence do you have to support these allegations?

At the end of the day, if you don't like how the law enforcement officials in your city enforce the law, you're free to move.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    Your basic premise is wrong. The police are allowed to arrest such people. No, you have no vigilante rights to go shooting people who are committing crimes to others.
    Legally allowed and permitted by policy are entirely different matters. Seattle has been following a number of other jurisdictions in de-emphasizing property crimes and quality of life offenses for either NO prosecution or minimal prosecution. As a result, many agencies are either not responding or not taking action on lesser offenses - including property crimes.

The sad reality today is that property offenses, trespassing, and similar low level offenses are simply not a priority in many jurisdictions. With declining personnel and other resources, reversals in proprietorial priorities, and changes in the laws, many locales will be forced to either hunker down or engage in vigilante justice to protect their property.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting AMR1980
    View Post
    Indeed, I try to be vigilant about locking my car, but I forgot they day. There is nothing more to the story of the break in, believe it or not. She didn’t know anybody there, and she got in when the door was left ajar momentarily.

You miss the point...I called the police after the crime was committed. They caught her in the house and established that she broke in and had no business being there. There were three residents of the house to witnessed it and told the police. Several people witnessed the car break in too and told the police.
    No, I'm not missing the point. I get it. You live in a ghetto surrounded by low lifes. The police have more than they can handle and you and your neighbor are careless about protecting your own property.

Lock your car doors. Make it a habit. It's muscle memory.
    Lock your house doors.
    Don't leave anything outside that you want to keep.
    If you own the property put up a fence.

Or, you can move to a better neighborhood.

My daughter lives in the Seattle area. About 15 years now. Never had any of the problems that you have reported.

Normal precautions do not always work. One of the most wealthy neighborhoods in Sacramento has regular intrusions and police response to a burglary in progress can take 30+ minutes. A cold burglary or theft MIGHT see a police officer or a community service officer in 4 hours. There's a new reality in many places - even the better ones. It's no longer always as simple as taking simple precautions - especially if you live in those places where there are little to no consequences for the offense, or, the likelihood of getting caught is minimal.

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion...emands-change/

https://www.kiro7.com/news/tonight-a...lons/946791028

And the stories abound all over the place.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast