Default Where Do I Register My Vehicle Leased Under My Business

My question involves business law in the state of: DC and MD

I live in MD but operate my business in DC. Due to my profession I don't need a business license in DC.
    MY business is registered to my home address in MD. Should my vehicle lease tags be in DC or in MD?

I had a police officer stop me and give me a verbal warning for my license not matching the state of my plates, and it was said it was a zoning violation - i cant find any evidence of this info online tho.

Any help or resources would be helpful!
    Thanks!

Default Re: Where Do I Register My Vehicle Leased Under My Business

Well, you don't give enough information. Matching your driver's license is certainly NOT a criteria for the location of registration.
    I've never seen a zoning regulation talk about driver's licenses. I've never seen police enforce zoning rules either.

First, you have to describe the vehicle. The rules vary for a car versus a truck.
    Who stopped you?
    What license do you have?
    What plates are on the vehicle?

Generally, the vehicle has to be registered in the jurisdiction where it is "garaged." If you take the vehicle home every night to MD, then probably MD tags. If you leave it at your place of business or parked in DC when not in use, then DC.

Apologies! Here is more info!
    - Its a car, not a truck.
    DC metro police stopped me - not for this reason to be clear, I apparently didn't pull over for a cop car coming in the opposite direction (didnt realise that was required I was on the opposite side). It was in looking at my license that the officer made the comment and gave me a verbal warning.

I have a MD license, and DC plates (insisted on by the dealership I got it from against my wishes)

Is there a place where I can get this info re: correct jurisdiction of plates? If I need to change it I'd like evidence so that I don't have to pay for it.

thanks so much!

DC plates (insisted on by the dealership I got it from
    "Insisted on" or in your contract? If not in your contract you are free to register it wherever it makes more sense.

If I need to change it I'd like evidence so that I don't have to pay for it.
    You'll pay for it. There's no getting around that.

The safe bet is to have your license match your registration.

Look around you when you are in DC. You'll probably see lots of MD plates.

So where is the car "garaged?"

Anyhow, it's odd a MPD officer would complain about a car having DC Plates. It's usually the other way around, cars that should have DC plates that have MD ones (VA isn't so much a problem due to the personal property tax there). It would be more of an issue that he was upset that you had a MD drivers license if they considered you a DC resident.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    So where is the car "garaged?"

Anyhow, it's odd a MPD officer would complain about a car having DC Plates. It's usually the other way around, cars that should have DC plates that have MD ones (VA isn't so much a problem due to the personal property tax there). It would be more of an issue that he was upset that you had a MD drivers license if they considered you a DC resident.
    He specifically said that he lives in MD but operates a business in DC, that is registered (the business) to his home address in MD. I think its clear that the car should be registered in MD. I have no idea why the dealership insisted on it being registered in DC, that makes zero sense.

I am going to guess that communication was not clear between the OP and the dealer.

He said he lives in MD, but that doesn't mean he keeps the car there (or that he properly has a MD license). Just need to make sure. I agree the "dealer" shouldn't have cared where the car was titled, be it DC or Montana.

The dealership insisted that since it was being registered under the business, and my office was in dc, that it needed DC plates.

So i'm clear, the car - regardless of the ownership of the registration - should be registered where it is garaged?
    It is garaged in MD.

Who owns the vehicle? If it is the company, are you incorporated? If so where?

You dealer was/is an idiot. You are in MD. You said your business was registered in MD.

1. Sponsored Links