JustAnswer.com
    Law
    Connect one-on-one with a Lawyer who will answer your questions
    Expert avatar
    Ely, Counselor at Law
    24,667 Satisfied customers
    Virtual Assistant avatar
    Pearl Wilson, Lawyer's Assistant
    Welcome! How can I help with your legal question?
    You
    Hello. My name is Justin and me and my wife moved into a house back in may. No since then I have had maintenance come out 3 times to look at my ac unit because it just don't seam to keep the house cool. I usually run my ac on 68 but I have to run it on 72 now just to keep it from running 24/7 and the temperature still gets up to 75 or 76 and won't drop back down to 70 until around midnight. They say nothing is wrong with the ac and my electric bill is now over 400 dollars. I never went into the attic before and on Tuesday they sent a guy out to look up there after I reported again something is wrong. He came to see how the insulation was in the attic. This guy said and I went to look that most of the attic has no insulation and needs more. I feel this is something that should have been done before we moved in and especially after all the reports made someone should have been checking everything. So can I get them to cover the bill or discount my rent unti it is fixed?

Default Re: No Insulation

Quote Quoting Justincoughran
    View Post
    So can I get them to cover the bill or discount my rent unti it is fixed?
    Nope.

Lack of insulation is not a habitability issue.

Electricity to run air conditioning in hot climates is expensive.

Running AC at 68 degrees is unwise. Can't imagine anybody being comfortable when it's that cold.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Nope.

Lack of insulation is not a habitability issue.

Electricity to run air conditioning in hot climates is expensive.

Running AC at 68 degrees is unwise. Can't imagine anybody being comfortable when it's that cold.
    Wow rude but ok I'll just pay to speak with someone without a personal opinion of a person and how they live thank you.

Quote Quoting Justincoughran
    View Post
    Wow rude but ok I'll just pay to speak with someone without a personal opinion of a person and how they live thank you.
    Nothing AJ said was rude or a personal opinion. He gave you a sound legal opinion. The fact is that NO state requires a landlord to install insulation for a tenant. Sounds to me like you will not be happy with any answer unless its the one that you want to hear.

Quote Quoting lill
    View Post
    Nothing AJ said was rude or a personal opinion. He gave you a sound legal opinion. The fact is that NO state requires a landlord to install insulation for a tenant. Sounds to me like you will not be happy with any answer unless its the one that you want to hear.
    How about The part about it being unwise to run the ac at 68? And the “can’t imagine anybody being comfortable when tIs that cold”

That’s a common setting in my area.

To each their own in the world of heat and ac.

And you would be incorrect about no state requires insulation. It can create a condition of inhabitability in some areas. A rental in some states must be able to maintain a specified temperature to be considered habitable. If a lack of insulation causes it so the heating system can not maintain such a temperature, then yes, insulation would be required.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    How about The part about it being unwise to run the ac at 68? And the “can’t imagine anybody being comfortable when tIs that cold”

That’s a common setting in my area.

To each their own in the world of heat and ac.

And you would be incorrect about no state requires insulation. It can create a condition of inhabitability in some areas. A rental in some states must be able to maintain a specified temperature to be considered habitable. If a lack of insulation causes it so the heating system can not maintain such a temperature, then yes, insulation would be required.

It is unwise to run an AC at 68 degrees. The best of AC units would freeze over at anything under 70 degrees. And there is no law in Oklahoma that requires the landlord to maintain a temperature during summer months. For that matter, Oklahoma does not even require a landlord to provide AC.

Quote Quoting lill
    View Post
    It is unwise to run an AC at 68 degrees. The best of AC units would freeze over at anything under 70 degrees. And there is no law in Oklahoma that requires the landlord to maintain a temperature during summer months. For that matter, Oklahoma does not even require a landlord to provide AC.
    You obviously don’t know much about how an ac works. Running it at 68 would cause no more freeze up than running it at 75 if the system is properly designed and operating properly. What causes a freeze up has very little to do with the setting but rather the design of the systems and the proper operating condition of system. . Yes, I know a bit about ac too. Want a picture of my gages to show that I actually do work on them?

More thsn anything, what causes a freeze up is lack of airflow (dirty filters are the most common reason).

Your argument about not requiring ac is superfluous and a ruse. I responded to your statement that no state requires insulation. I explained where that would be incorrect. Now arguing ok doesn’t require ac is a totally different issue.

Quote Quoting lill
    View Post
    This part:

Can't imagine anybody being comfortable when it's that cold.
    Was a personal opinion. As far as I am concerned it wasn't rude, but it was a personal opinion.

Nothing I wrote was rude.

As for what I wrote:

"Nope." (Referring to the LL paying the AC bill or reducing the rent.) Opinion, certainly. But I'd be willing to bet money on it.

"Lack of insulation is not a habitability issue." Fact. An uninhabitable dwelling (according to Merriam-Webster) is one that is "unfit for habitation, not inhabitable." It would compel an occupant to pack up and leave because of conditions deleterious to health and safety. Lack of insulation and expensive AC use may be inconvenient, annoying, and maybe a code issue but doesn't make the dwelling uninhabitable. OP, by his own admission, is still in residence.

"Electricity to run air conditioning in hot climates is expensive." Fact. Definitely Fact. I live in Phoenix. My summer electric bills run about $300 per month from late June to September.

"Running AC at 68 degrees is unwise. Can't imagine anybody being comfortable when it's that cold." Opinion, of course. If I kept my house at 68 degrees I'd be damned chilly and my bills would be $600 per month.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Nothing I wrote was rude.

As for what I wrote:

"Nope." (Referring to the LL paying the AC bill or reducing the rent.) Opinion, certainly. But I'd be willing to bet money on it.

"Lack of insulation is not a habitability issue." Fact. An uninhabitable dwelling (according to Merriam-Webster) is one that is "unfit for habitation, not inhabitable." It would compel an occupant to pack up and leave because of conditions deleterious to health and safety. Lack of insulation and expensive AC use may be inconvenient, annoying, and maybe a code issue but doesn't make the dwelling uninhabitable. OP, by his own admission, is still in residence.

"Electricity to run air conditioning in hot climates is expensive." Fact. Definitely Fact. I live in Phoenix. My summer electric bills run about $300 per month from late June to September.

"Running AC at 68 degrees is unwise. Can't imagine anybody being comfortable when it's that cold." Opinion, of course. If I kept my house at 68 degrees I'd be damned chilly and my bills would be $600 per month.

Ill say it appeared to be a bit judgmental (stating running it at 68 is unwise) That often comes across as rude. But as I said, that is not an uncommon temp where I’m at. I see nothing unwise about setting it to 68 if that is what the person likes.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast