Default Good Faith Adoption (Private Sector)

My question involves personal property located in the State of: West Virginia

I found a posting on Face Book (FB) of an individual who was looking for a re-homing situation for her dog. I visited the home and agreed to adopt the dog. I immediately transported the dog to the Vet for vaccinations and check-up as the owner stated the dog had not had a vet visit for the past two-and-a-half-years. I also transported the dog to the groomer where the dog was bathed and foot care was provided.

Three days following the adoption, I was informed via FB Messenger that the dog belonged to a man Florida and that the young lady who gave the dog to me was not the owner and did not have the right to re-home the dog.

After much back and forth I notified the man in FL not to contact me again until he settled the civil matter with the young lady from whom I adopted the dog.

I feel the matter of ownership should be settled between the two individuals before I get involved.

Am I correct?

Good Faith Adopter!

Default Re: Good Faith Adoption (Private Sector)

They should have done it, but that doesn't give you the right to retain property you know to be stolen. That is a crime on its own.

Quote Quoting dgill97
    View Post
    I found a posting on Face Book (FB) of an individual who was looking for a re-homing situation for her dog. I visited the home and agreed to adopt the dog.
    So, basically, this person gave you the dog. Right? Did you pay her any money in exchange for the dog?

Quote Quoting dgill97
    View Post
    I feel the matter of ownership should be settled between the two individuals before I get involved.

Am I correct?
    Whether you "feel" a certain way is not susceptible of being "correct" or "incorrect," and whether and how you "get involved" is entirely up to you. Legally, if the person who gave you dog didn't own the dog and you didn't pay her anything for the dog, then you can be compelled to return it to the owner. On the other hand, if it was her dog, then she was legally able to gift it to you. If you paid the woman money for the dog, then you might be able to keep it because of a concept called "good faith purchaser for value."

Quote Quoting dgill97
    View Post
    My question involves personal property located in the State of: West Virginia

I found a posting on Face Book (FB) of an individual who was looking for a re-homing situation for her dog. I visited the home and agreed to adopt the dog. I immediately transported the dog to the Vet for vaccinations and check-up as the owner stated the dog had not had a vet visit for the past two-and-a-half-years. I also transported the dog to the groomer where the dog was bathed and foot care was provided.

Three days following the adoption, I was informed via FB Messenger that the dog belonged to a man Florida and that the young lady who gave the dog to me was not the owner and did not have the right to re-home the dog.

After much back and forth I notified the man in FL not to contact me again until he settled the civil matter with the young lady from whom I adopted the dog.

Am I correct?

Good Faith Adopter!
    No, you are not correct, however you should insist on hard evidence being provided to you by the person who is claiming ownership of the dog, that they really own the dog. This could be a scam attempt.

1. Sponsored Links