Default HOA Charging Me for File Alarm Inspection Re-Test

My question involves real estate located in the State of: California

This is kind of a complicated issue because the inspection took place before my current HOA management company got hired, and my current HOA management company is trying to charge me for an inspection that took place six months ago.

Six months ago, my building had a fire alarm inspection, and the test failed because of a failing mini-horn in someone's unit. I saw the notice that it had failed, and I remembered several years back I had disconnected my mini-horn before because it was ringing during the night. I told this to my previous HOA mgmt company, and they asked the fire alarm contractor to come out and inspect our place. They eventually came out, and told us that our mini-horns are working fine and there are no problems with our unit.

Now, our new HOA mgmt company is trying to charge me for the re-tests ($500). They claim that they have to charge me because on the original invoice it says that our unit needs to be visited for re-test. There are no records of what happened afterwards.

Can the HOA charge me for just a assumption that my unit caused a re-test? The contractor says they only talk to mgmt companies and the mgmt company says there is nothing that they can do, and it is too bad, but we have to pay.

Default Re: HOA Charging Me for File Alarm Inspection Re-Test

Quote Quoting cornelius
    View Post
    my current HOA management company is trying to charge me for an inspection that took place six months ago.
    In the subject header of your post, you wrote that the "HOA [is] charging" you, but here you wrote that it is "trying to charge" you? Which is it, and if it's the latter, please explain what "trying to charge" means?

Quote Quoting cornelius
    View Post
    Can the HOA charge me for just a assumption that my unit caused a re-test?
    It certainly can do it. Whether it's enforceable depends on the terms of the CC&Rs to which you agreed when you bought the place (and any subsequent changes to the CC&Rs).

[QUOTE=pg1067;1121121]In the subject header of your post, you wrote that the "HOA [is] charging" you, but here you wrote that it is "trying to charge" you? Which is it, and if it's the latter, please explain what "trying to charge" means?

The HOA mgmt company billed me for the amount that was paid for re-test. On the bill, it says, "reimbursement to the HOA"

[QUOTE=cornelius;1121160]
    Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    In the subject header of your post, you wrote that the "HOA [is] charging" you, but here you wrote that it is "trying to charge" you? Which is it, and if it's the latter, please explain what "trying to charge" means?

The HOA mgmt company billed me for the amount that was paid for re-test. On the bill, it says, "reimbursement to the HOA"
    $500.00 seems like a lot for a fire alarm test for one unit? Did they have to retest the entire building again?

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post

$500.00 seems like a lot for a fire alarm test for one unit? Did they have to retest the entire building again?
    These systems are building wide, so they would have to test the entire building.

The rest of the OP's post is confusing. Were the disconnected mini-horns from years back re-connected? If a single componet like the mini-horns were ever taken out of service, there should have been a building wide trouble which would not clear until that device or circuit was fixed.

The tester should be able to tell the source or circuit of a problem almost all the time. The HOA is the owner of the FA system, and is responsible for repair except in the case of negligence.

Quote Quoting cornelius
    View Post
    the mgmt company says there is nothing that they can do, and it is too bad, but we have to pay.
    Then you pay.

That's what happens when you live in an HOA. Costs you more to fight than to capitulate.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Then you pay.

That's what happens when you live in an HOA. Costs you more to fight than to capitulate.
    No, you make them document why you are responsible, you donít pay by fiat.

Quote Quoting MaltbyMark
    View Post
    No, you make them document why you are responsible, you don’t pay by fiat.
    The only way the HOA will likely be made to document anything would be in court. This will likely cost the OP more than the $500 he is being billed for. And since he did, in fact, disconnect the horn he is likely at fault here.

That is assuming the horn is the culprit.

The repair for the failed test should state what failed and what the repair was. Since the tests are likely annual, and the OP stated that he disconnected the horn several years previous and an unhooked horn should have shown as a trouble on the panel immediately, the facts are muddied enough to not know if the OP was as at fault.

1. Sponsored Links