Default Items Held in Storage

My question involves personal property located in the State of: Colorado. My son left his girlfriend and moved back home to California leaving most of his belongs in Colorado. After a week or so his girlfriend said she was putting all his things in storage and sending him the key. A week later with her encouragement committed suicide. We have contacted her and through someone else stated she had nothing of his. Then a month ago a storage unit called stating the unit would be going up for auction if not paid. She had listed my name, his name as contacts but none of the numbers given to contact her were in service and the bank card number she gave was closed. Since she is listed as the renter how do we get my son's things back?

Default Re: Items Held in Storage

if the unit is in the girls name, it would take a court order to stay the sale and preserve the contents, unless the storage unit is willing to work with you, until you can get this reviewed in full by a court.

The storage company called you. This is your opportunity to ask "Can I pay you and get my son's stuff?"

If yes, then get it in writing and make arrangements to pick up the stuff WHEN you pay, and do it before the auction.

Otherwise, it's all gone.

I doubt that any storage company will "work with" somebody unless it's all the money in hand.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    The storage company called you. This is your opportunity to ask "Can I pay you and get my son's stuff?"

If yes, then get it in writing and make arrangements to pick up the stuff WHEN you pay, and do it before the auction.

Otherwise, it's all gone.

I doubt that any storage company will "work with" somebody unless it's all the money in hand.
    the storage company cannot let the op touch anything in there. It is in the girls name. If rent is due, they are required to auction the property per law. Op was given as a contact person, nothing more.

the “working with” was in reference to getting the storage place to delay obligatory auction until the op can get this in front of a judge.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    the storage company cannot let the op touch anything in there. It is in the girls name. If rent is due, they are required to auction the property per law. Op was given as a contact person, nothing more.

the “working with” was in reference to getting the storage place to delay obligatory auction until the op can get this in front of a judge.
    I don't think that we have enough information to accurately state that OP was given as nothing more than a contact person. I do agree however that the storage unit needs to be paid for in full if they want to stop the auction.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post

My prediction: Not gonna happen.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    My prediction: Not gonna happen.
    Maybe not but they can ask. Maybe a bit of grease upon the palm of the operator of the storage units would cause them to delay the auction.

Otherwise, if op wants any of the contents they need to either seek an injunction delaying the sale or bid on it when it goes to auction.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I don't think that we have enough information to accurately state that OP was given as nothing more than a contact person. I do agree however that the storage unit needs to be paid for in full if they want to stop the auction.

Actually we have precisely that

from the first post:

she is listed as renter. How do we get my sons things back

and:

She had listed my name and his name as contacts
    that seems pretty definite to me.

Additionally, if op was also listed as a renter, there would be no point to this entire thread. Op could simply go and clean out the storage unit she is listed as renter on. Apparently that is not an option so it becomes pretty clear op is not listed as a renter.

What kind of injunction is needed and will I have to be in colorado? And since she has no legal right to his stuff can't it be considered theft since she refuses contact with us.

Additionally the storage unit took money from me to stop it from being auctioned and did not notify her it had been paid. We feared she would come empty the unit if she knew we knew about it. The has said she has none of his things.

Isn't it theft if the person won't respond and what about abanding the unit.

I paid the storage fees to avoid everything being auctioned. Ultimately, she removed everything from the unit. Any attempt I've made to contact her were returned with threats. The latest is she has a restraining order which is a lie. I have never been served. I just want my son's personal things returned for his children.

Unfortunately, it's not the kind of thing that she will ever be prosecuted for or go to jail for as much as you wish it so. You can report it as theft but I predict that the police will call it a civil matter and not do anything.

You will have to sue her.

Colorado small claims allows lawsuits for the recovery of property (up to $7500) but you will have to be appointed representative of your son's estate by the Colorado probate court (since the property is there) in order to have standing to sue on behalf of his estate and you will have to appear in court to do it.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/Forms...Form_Type_ID=9

You can consult a lawyer in Colorado to see if the lawyer can handle the court appearance without you being present or get the court's permission to allow you to appear by phone.

1. Sponsored Links