Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Buying Land with Perpetuities

No, from this statement “Specifically, I am looking for a little farm in the Louisville area (a place where most of the farms have been developed already), but I am wondering if there are still farms preserved by those perpetuities.” I think he wants the land for personal use and to use within any restrictions.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    I think that is what the OP is counting on. He wants some cheap land.
    *She

More or less. I am looking to start a small farm in the vicinity of Louisville, a large city where the vast majority of farms have been subdivided into small parcels and developed. I wonder if the few that remain do so because of restrictions or simply because of elderly people who have yet to sell out. I know that some of the farms have been acquired by a land conservation group, which "buys" restrictions - they pay land owners to agree that a certain portion of property will remain a protected farm, watershed, or easement in perpetuity without actually buying the land. In short, I know that some of the local farms remain so solely because of restrictive covenants. I suppose that my point is that if you do not mind following the restrictions, the land really has no lower subjective value - but the market value may be comparatively cheap. I was wondering if there is a way to find properties with restrictive covenants that the owners do not want to fulfill - particularly relating to historic farms - perhaps by asking local property attorneys? I am not sure who would know that a particular (normally inherited) property is a headache, and be able to suggest owners to approach with an offer to buy.

Sorry, I know that's a weird question!

You do need to understand that much of the land that is being held in conservatorships such as that are owned and will remain owned by mostly not-for-profit conservatorships. I other words they are off the market forever.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2