Default Posting Abandonment

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Oregon
    My brother has posted a sign on our property on this fence that says
    Property abandoned by Tonya Swan (Me) 10-15-18 and fenced in part of our property. Does any one know what he is trying to do
    and if he can do anything to me or my rights to the property by doing this. We are both owners with 2 other family members
    of a piece of property with a house on it that he lives in and we can not use because he is hostile and threatening and it is dirty and garbage is all over it.

I am trying to keep it for my kids and I pay all the taxes so when he passes and his wife does maybe my kids can get it back. My mom not knowing what she was doing
    signed him onto the deed as not in common tenants with right of survivorship. DId n't realize she disinherited the rest of us by doing that. She has put it in our names but I guess he gets it if she dies first anyway.
    Now he has posted this sign. What is he up to now?

Default Re: Posting Abandonment

Go get the sign and write "No I didn't" and sign and date it. Take a photo of it and then mail the sign to him.

CThere are some issues with what you are trying to explain. In one sentence you write you are a cotenant (co-owner) yet in another you state your mother and brother are joint tenants with rights of survivorship. Can you explain who is actually an owner of the property and a timeline describing any changes in the title?

Other than the fact that it tells us that your contemptuous, greedy brother has head in the clouds it mean nothing. So don't fret over the childish incident. Instead read the Oregon laws governing the partitioning or sale of lands held as tenants in common. And then speak with an attorney.

Start here with Chapter 105 of the Oregon Revised Statutes: https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/105.205

Quote Quoting tonyaswan
    View Post
    My brother has posted a sign on our property on this fence that says
    Property abandoned by Tonya Swan (Me) 10-15-18 and fenced in part of our property. Does any one know what he is trying to do
    I feel confident your brother knows. If your intent was to ask if anyone here knows about your brother's state of mind, I suspect that's beyond unlikely.

Quote Quoting tonyaswan
    View Post
    and if he can do anything to me or my rights to the property by doing this.
    In the abstract and with virtually no background or context, virtually anything is possible. Have you considered removing the sign or...you know...talking to your brother?

Quote Quoting tonyaswan
    View Post
    My mom not knowing what she was doing
    signed him onto the deed as not in common tenants with right of survivorship. DId n't realize she disinherited the rest of us by doing that. She has put it in our names but I guess he gets it if she dies first anyway.
    Huh?

Who is on title (no actual names, please)? How is joint title held (hint: there's no such thing as "not in common tenants")? Is your mother still alive? If you can't explain the answers to those questions better than you did in your original post, then I suggest you get yourself down to a local real estate attorney for advice.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    I feel confident your brother knows. If your intent was to ask if anyone here knows about your brother's state of mind, I suspect that's beyond unlikely.

In the abstract and with virtually no background or context, virtually anything is possible. Have you considered removing the sign or...you know...talking to your brother?

Huh?

Who is on title (no actual names, please)? How is joint title held (hint: there's no such thing as "not in common tenants")? Is your mother still alive? If you can't explain the answers to those questions better than you did in your original post, then I suggest you get yourself down to a local real estate attorney for advice.
    Also, in most states its possible for one owner to change the "right of survivorship" part without the permission of another owner. So, again a good reason for you and your mother to see a real estate attorney.

1. Sponsored Links