Default My Ex Won't Sign the Title Over to Me

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: North Carolina

My ex husband and I divorced just about a year ago and it was just a simple divorce. We each kept our cars but this wasn't included in the divorce paperwork (now I realize that wasn't too smart ~ I just wanted the divorce finalized). My bank has successfully removed him as a co-signer but according to the bank and the State of North Carolina, they need a notarized POA document from my ex to remove him from my title and registration. He refuses to sign this. Am I just stuck now if I end up wanting to sell my car? I'm not sure what else to do here.

Default Re: My Ex Won't Sign the Title Over to Me

Quote Quoting pinkitmake
    View Post
    I'm not sure what else to do here.
    Well, if you don't want to pay a lawyer a few thousand to take your ex back to divorce court, I suggest you offer him money for his signature.

Otherwise, you really are stuck because you won't be able to ever sell the car without his signature.

You might have to keep it until you pay off the loan, drive it into the ground, then junk it with a shady wrecking yard that doesn't look too closely at titles.

Default Re: My Ex Won't Sign the Title Over to Me

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    Well, if you don't want to pay a lawyer a few thousand to take your ex back to divorce court, I suggest you offer him money for his signature.

Otherwise, you really are stuck because you won't be able to ever sell the car without his signature.

You might have to keep it until you pay off the loan, drive it into the ground, then junk it with a shady wrecking yard that doesn't look too closely at titles.
    Concur.

1. Sponsored Links