Default Cost 4000$ to Register My Car Please Help

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: So bought My car around 2 years ago in Alabama I live in California.. they told me they were going to give me the plates and include the sales tax when I purchased my vehicle.. but as I call them asking whatís going on they tell me that they no longer are gonna help me now I owe all these penalites to the DMV and I donít know what to do.. the dmv didnít send me a letter to go register my car or even a letter that I have penalites.. I feel really attacked if their is a good soul somewhere that can help me it would be greatly appreciated... thank you so much

Default Re: Cost 4000$ to Register My Car Please Help

Quote Quoting Sti_lokke
    View Post
    My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: So bought My car around 2 years ago in Alabama I live in California.. they told me they were going to give me the plates and include the sales tax when I purchased my vehicle.. but as I call them asking what’s going on they tell me that they no longer are gonna help me now I owe all these penalites to the DMV and I don’t know what to do.. the dmv didn’t send me a letter to go register my car or even a letter that I have penalites.. I feel really attacked if their is a good soul somewhere that can help me it would be greatly appreciated... thank you so much
    What are the penalties for? When the AL dealer sold you the car, it would not have collected CA sales tax but very likely did collect AL sales tax. You needed to promptly title and register the car in CA when you brought it back to CA. When you did that CA would charge you a use tax (which is basically the same thing as the sales tax but paid directly by you rather than collected by the seller) but you'd be able to claim a credit for the AL sales tax you paid. Did you promptly title and register the car in CA? If the answer is no and that's why you have penalties then how is that the dealer's fault?

2 years, really? The penalties are all yours.

When the AL dealership "told you" they were going to pay for plates and sales tax was that in a written sales agreement of any kind? Also, was the agreement for AL sales tax and tags or CA?

Quote Quoting Sti_lokke
    View Post
    So bought My car around 2 years ago in Alabama I live in California.
    The lack of proper sentence structure makes it difficult to interpret what this sentence means. It sounds like you bought the car in Alabama two years ago. It also sounds like you currently live in California, but it's not clear if you were living in California at the time you bought the car (as the other responses seem to have assumed) or when you moved to California. If you lived in California at the time you bought the car, why did you go all the way to Alabama to buy a car?

Quote Quoting Sti_lokke
    View Post
    they told me they were going to give me the plates and include the sales tax when I purchased my vehicle.
    I assume "they" refers to the person from whom you bought the car. Correct? Was this a dealer or a private seller?

Quote Quoting Sti_lokke
    View Post
    but as I call them asking what’s going on they tell me that they no longer are gonna help me now I owe all these penalites to the DMV and I don’t know what to do.
    Not really sure what this means. What would you expect "them" to help you with? Why do you owe penalties?

Quote Quoting Sti_lokke
    View Post
    the dmv didn’t send me a letter to go register my car or even a letter that I have penalites.
    Which DMV? The Alabama DMV or the California DMV? If the DMV didn't send you "a letter that [you] have penalites [sic]," then why do you think you have penalties? And why would the DMV "send [you] a letter to go register [your] car"?

Bottom line: You're going to have to explain your situation much more clearly.

Thank you so much everyone for your feedback... my apologies for not explaining better.. Iíve lived in California my entire life I found a excellent car deal in Alabama so I went for it. They told me they were gonna take care of everything Including sales tax and license plates.. I bought it from a big Toyota dealer and they still havenít sent the Certification of the title. So the DMV is charging me the penalties for not registering the car for two years but I didnít receive a notice in the mail or anything. The sales tax is only 2590 but with all the DMV penalties my total cost is 4190

This was my first car purchase and I really didnít even know how to register a car the dealership told me they were going to do everything for me and that I didnít have to go to the DMV at all.. I pay $422 a month for this vehicle I have never missed a payment and the total cost for the vehicle will be around 34,000 when Iím done paying it I only owe 18,000$ on it... Iím just wondering if thereís a way to waive the penalty fees because I was not even aware that I had them Or make my car non-operation vechile or something Iíve heard people doing that

Quote Quoting Sti_lokke
    View Post
    Thank you so much everyone for your feedback... my apologies for not explaining better.. I’ve lived in California my entire life I found a excellent car deal in Alabama so I went for it. They told me they were gonna take care of everything Including sales tax and license plates.. I bought it from a big Toyota dealer and they still haven’t sent the Certification of the title. So the DMV is charging me the penalties for not registering the car for two years but I didn’t receive a notice in the mail or anything. The sales tax is only 2590 but with all the DMV penalties my total cost is 4190

This was my first car purchase and I really didn’t even know how to register a car the dealership told me they were going to do everything for me and that I didn’t have to go to the DMV at all.. I pay $422 a month for this vehicle I have never missed a payment and the total cost for the vehicle will be around 34,000 when I’m done paying it I only owe 18,000$ on it... I’m just wondering if there’s a way to waive the penalty fees because I was not even aware that I had them Or make my car non-operation vechile or something I’ve heard people doing that
    Why have you waited for 2 years? Was it a new or used car?

Quote Quoting Sti_lokke
    View Post
    I’ve lived in California my entire life I found a excellent car deal in Alabama so I went for it. They told me they were gonna take care of everything Including sales tax and license plates.
    I doubt that a dealer in Alabama told you that it would register the car in California or even knew how to do that. It was your responsibility to get the car registered in CA within a very short period of time (I don't know the exact time, but it's 30 days or less) after you brought it into CA. Since you financed the car, you will not receive the title until you pay off the loan.

Making your "car non-operation[al]" won't help you with the taxes or penalties, and it would make it so that you cannot legally drive the car. You can ask someone at the DMV about waiving the penalties, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Get down to the DMV and get this taken care of because the longer you wait, the worse the situation will become.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    Why have you waited for 2 years? Was it a new or used car?
    It was a used car with 30,000miles and they told me I didnít have to go to the dmv in the first place... I only went to the dmv because i had a ticket i find it really strange that the dmv couldnít send me something in the mail at least the first year I was late on registering my car ?

Quote Quoting Sti_lokke
    View Post
    It was a used car with 30,000miles and they told me I didn’t have to go to the dmv in the first place... I only went to the dmv because i had a ticket i find it really strange that the dmv couldn’t send me something in the mail at least the first year I was late on registering my car ?
    Eh? The DMV is not there to tell you that you need to register your car. How are they supposed to know you were breaking the law.

You don't get thirty days by the way. As soon as you brought the car into California, it was required to be registered. The 20/30 day payment of fees is only the time before PENALTIES are assessed for being late.

How would the CA DMV even know you bought a car in AL?

I'd be much more concerned with not getting the paperwork from the dealer. But I'm surprised you haven't heard from the finance company about where the title is. Alabama and California are both title holding states which means that the bank takes physical possession of the title until it is paid off. If the car was never registered in your name there is no title to hold.

I'd be willing to bet the dealer did pay your tags, title, and registration in AL and there was some major error with your address and they can't get in touch with you.

Have you ever contacted the dealer?

1. Sponsored Links