Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Asus Customer Service

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: ca

I contacted Asus because my motherboard died in my laptop after 1 year and some months. They wouldn’t connect me to the parts dept and said this is internal issue that only they can solve and I have to send them the laptop and pay a diagnostic fee. Then after paying the diagnostic fee for one of their technicians to diagnose the problem (dead motherboard) they can give me an estimate. I know the what the problem is, because I took it to a local shop to get it diagnosed and they stated that I need a new motherboard. Can Asus legally prevent me from contacting their parts dept to procure the part myself?

Default Re: Asus Customer Service

Asus2 and Asus4 are both excellent chords!

The answer to your question is yes. If the manufacturer won't sell you a new motherboard, buy one from someone else.

That is interesting that legally, a manufacturer can prevent a consumer from buying a part direct. The local shop mentioned to me that there is some 3 year rule that all manufacturers have to make any part within 3 years of production available. I have not personally heard of this rule before.

If there is any such rule, it means that manufacturers have to make parts available on the open market so you can buy them from retailers or get repairs done at local repair shops. Chances are that you can find the mobo on ebay for a lot less than the manufacturer would sell it to you if the manufacturer would sell it to you.

It's up to the manufacturer whether it wants to sell directly to the consumer.

Did you buy the laptop with a credit card?

If you did, you might have an extended warranty for a second year. If you do, you can make the claim with the credit card's warranty department, take it to a local repair shop, and the credit card warranty will reimburse you for the repair cost.

Yeah, you pay up front and then submit the receipt for reimbursement. No big deal. I've had a couple of TVs repaired or replaced like that after the initial warranty period ran out.

Good points. Just called cc and unfortunately this one does not offer 2nd year extended warranty. Which ones do?

So buy another motherboard from a retailer (newegg has many).

One thing to keep in mind however: you probably have an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) license for Windows that came with the computer, meaning your replacement motherboard must be the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty. If you upgrade to a substantially different board then you will need to obtain a new operating system license.

Quote Quoting jyeh74
    View Post
    Good points. Just called cc and unfortunately this one does not offer 2nd year extended warranty. Which ones do?
    Many.

BofA
    Chase
    Wells Fargo
    Barclay
    Discover

Those are cards that I have, or had, that have the feature.

I'm sure there are others. You'll have to study the features before you apply for the card.

Won't help you now but the extended warranties cover all sorts of consumer products.

Quote Quoting jyeh74
    View Post
    That is interesting that legally, a manufacturer can prevent a consumer from buying a part direct. The local shop mentioned to me that there is some 3 year rule that all manufacturers have to make any part within 3 years of production available. I have not personally heard of this rule before.
    No company is forced to sell directly to the consumer. Many, many don't.

I've never heard of any law that requires that parts continue to be made but even if such law exists they still wouldn't have to sell them directly to you.

Quote Quoting jyeh74
    View Post
    My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: ca

I contacted Asus because my motherboard died in my laptop after 1 year and some months. They wouldn’t connect me to the parts dept and said this is internal issue that only they can solve and I have to send them the laptop and pay a diagnostic fee. Then after paying the diagnostic fee for one of their technicians to diagnose the problem (dead motherboard) they can give me an estimate. I know the what the problem is, because I took it to a local shop to get it diagnosed and they stated that I need a new motherboard. Can Asus legally prevent me from contacting their parts dept to procure the part myself?
    Yes, they can. Most manufacturer's have contracts with their dealers and distributors (and then the dealers and distributors have a similar contract with the retailers) that they won't sell directly to the general public, or if they do for some reason, they must sell it a the full suggested retail price, so that they are not competing with the retailers.

So, I am quite certain you can buy a new motherboard, you just cannot buy it directly from the manufacturer of the laptop.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast