Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Asus Customer Service

After discovering that the mb is around $500, Iíve decided to just buy a new laptop. Iím looking at a Lenovo now. I wonít support Asus anymore. I found the 920 at New Egg. Usually laptops come with a 12 month warranty. I contacted Lenovo and asked them how the warranty works. They said because Lenovo doesnít carry the 920 anymore, if there is an issue with the laptop, I would have to deal with New Egg directly and not through Lenovo.

I thought manufacturer warranty is always handled through the manufacturer? i.e. If I buy a Sony tv through Best Buy and there is a defect or issue with it, I would deal directly with Sony and not Best Buy. Is the person I talked to at Lenovo on crack?

Quote Quoting jyeh74
    View Post
    After discovering that the mb is around $500, I’ve decided to just buy a new laptop. I’m looking at a Lenovo now. I won’t support Asus anymore. I found the 920 at New Egg. Usually laptops come with a 12 month warranty. I contacted Lenovo and asked them how the warranty works. They said because Lenovo doesn’t carry the 920 anymore, if there is an issue with the laptop, I would have to deal with New Egg directly and not through Lenovo.

I thought manufacturer warranty is always handled through the manufacturer? i.e. If I buy a Sony tv through Best Buy and there is a defect or issue with it, I would deal directly with Sony and not Best Buy. Is the person I talked to at Lenovo on crack?
    You really are the customer from heck aren't you? If you are so insistent that you want a warranty where you go through the manufacturer only, then buy a laptop where your warranty goes through the manufacturer. That means, obviously, that you don't buy the Lenovo 920.

Quote Quoting jyeh74
    View Post
    After discovering that the mb is around $500, I’ve decided to just buy a new laptop. I’m looking at a Lenovo now. I won’t support Asus anymore. I found the 920 at New Egg. Usually laptops come with a 12 month warranty. I contacted Lenovo and asked them how the warranty works. They said because Lenovo doesn’t carry the 920 anymore, if there is an issue with the laptop, I would have to deal with New Egg directly and not through Lenovo.

Warranties are handled in accordance with their express terms. Often, companies that give warranties will farm out the administration of the warranties to a third party.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    You really are the customer from heck aren't you? If you are so insistent that you want a warranty where you go through the manufacturer only, then buy a laptop where your warranty goes through the manufacturer. That means, obviously, that you don't buy the Lenovo 920.
    No I am just trying to understand how warranties work because of my bad experience. I always thought warranties were backed by the manufacturer. If you buy a one year old BMW from an Audi dealer and something goes wrong, you donít deal with the Audi dealer do you? You deal with BMW directly.

Quote Quoting jyeh74
    View Post
    No I am just trying to understand how warranties work because of my bad experience. I always thought warranties were backed by the manufacturer. If you buy a one year old BMW from an Audi dealer and something goes wrong, you don’t deal with the Audi dealer do you? You deal with BMW directly.
    Depends on who gives the warranty and the express terms of the warranty. The manufacturer's original warranty may not cover a second owner, and the dealer who sells a used car may very well give a warranty.

A warranty is nothing more than a contract. How it works depends on its terms.

Quote Quoting jyeh74
    View Post
    No I am just trying to understand how warranties work because of my bad experience. I always thought warranties were backed by the manufacturer. If you buy a one year old BMW from an Audi dealer and something goes wrong, you don’t deal with the Audi dealer do you? You deal with BMW directly.
    With car warranties from just about every car company you deal with a dealer if warranty work is needed. You almost never deal with the manufacturer.

On a recent experience note....

I just had my HP laptop (about 2 yrs old) rehabbed by a local (very reputable) PC repair shop. And, due to my rabid flight sim addiction, had them gut my old tower and install a supercomputer. Emphasis on SUPER! I power that puppy up and lights dim momentarily for a 3 block radius! Kidding! Only a 2.8357 block radius. Finished it off with 3 Samsung 27" monitors and I'm in digi-nirvana for a few quarters shy of $2,350. The laptop rehab clicked in at $473.

Little fyi in case you maybe wanna explore that sorta option. Laptop now types 5 to 7 keys ahead of me.
    Growing old, mandatory. Growing up, optional!

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Depends on who gives the warranty and the express terms of the warranty. The manufacturer's original warranty may not cover a second owner, and the dealer who sells a used car may very well give a warranty.

A warranty is nothing more than a contract. How it works depends on its terms.
    Generally speaking, car warranties are anywhere from 4-5 years. If a car is only 1-2 years old, warranty would most likely still be covered under original manufacturerís warranty regardless of which dealer or seller you buy it from.

Quote Quoting jyeh74
    View Post
    Actually this is not a comparable situation but in this situation, you actually deal with the BMW dealership. The dealership is not BMW. They are authorized by the oem to perform their warranty work.

Quote Quoting jyeh74
    View Post

The oem warranty is handled per the statement of warranty defines it. If the warranty says jimmbobs five and dime is does their warranty work, then you take the computer to jimbobs five and dime. Jimbob has a contract with the oem to perform the work and is compensated by the oem for authorized work he performs.

If the warranty says you have to return the item to the oem for repair, then you do deal with the oem directly.

It isnt so much there is a single rule of who you deal with. It is whomever the oem says to deal with within the warranty.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2