Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Pet Killed by an Animal Control Officer

My question involves personal property located in the State of: Indiana

I am posting this for a friend. Owner had 13 year old ill dog. She was treating it at the vets office. One day, her landlord allowed the county Animal Control officer to enter the rental property unbeknownst to the tenant and without any notice. Tenant had permission to have dog from landlord. ACO took the dog, took it out to local compost area and shot the animal and left it there. Dog was not aggressive and was ill. It had caused no damage, or any issues with it. The ACO admitted to the owner that he had done this. This was just done out of the blue because someone said the dog was sick.

What can the dog owner do? She has contacted the local sheriff and they want nothing to do with the situation. The ACO works for the County Commissioners and not the Sheriff's Dept. This has been a pattern of this ACO and the last time the Commissioners did nothing.

Default Re: Animal Death

Quote Quoting labsmom5
    View Post
    What can the dog owner do?
    I'm sure she CAN DO any number of things. If the sheriff won't do anything, then her only legal remedy would be to file a lawsuit.

Like what? What are her legal reasons for doing so? She has limited money.

Ok, rather than asking what she can do, answer this:

what is she wanting to happen?
    What would she expect from a law suit?

She would like for this to never happen to anyone elses animal. THis ACO has a pattern of doing this. She would like some restitution from the ACO or the county for allowing this to happen. SHe would like for this jerk to be fired from his job. When it happened before the Commissioners said if he did it again he would be fired. Well, she has proof that he did it again.

Owner has tape of police admitting that ACO does many things he should not be doing. And agrees that it was wrong. She needs advice on who she contact and who to bring it up to. County Commissioner won't do a thing. Old story says the ACO is blackmailing someone in county government'

Update.. the owner tells me that the boss of this ACO says that they did an investigation/report and that nothing will be done. Can she get a copy of this report? And if so and they tell her no, what can she cite to get it? Open book laws, etc..?

She has a recording of another officer telling her that it was probably not handled correctly. Should she give that to the media?

Quote Quoting labsmom5
    View Post
    She would like for this to never happen to anyone elses animal. THis ACO has a pattern of doing this. She would like some restitution from the ACO or the county for allowing this to happen. SHe would like for this jerk to be fired from his job. When it happened before the Commissioners said if he did it again he would be fired. Well, she has proof that he did it again.

Owner has tape of police admitting that ACO does many things he should not be doing. And agrees that it was wrong. She needs advice on who she contact and who to bring it up to. County Commissioner won't do a thing. Old story says the ACO is blackmailing someone in county government'

Update.. the owner tells me that the boss of this ACO says that they did an investigation/report and that nothing will be done. Can she get a copy of this report? And if so and they tell her no, what can she cite to get it? Open book laws, etc..?

She has a recording of another officer telling her that it was probably not handled correctly. Should she give that to the media?
    Taking the situation to the media might be a decent way to handle the situation. There is no guarantee that they would do anything with the story but if they decide that the are interested, the story getting out might force the boss of the ACO to take better action.

Quote Quoting labsmom5
    View Post
    Like what? What are her legal reasons for doing so? She has limited money.
    To be quite frank, a "13 year old ill dog" has relatively little value, so suing would almost certainly be a waste of time. However, small claims suits are typically inexpensive and easy and don't require any legal knowledge.

Quote Quoting labsmom5
    View Post
    She would like for this to never happen to anyone elses animal.
    There's nothing she can do to achieve that result.

Quote Quoting labsmom5
    View Post
    THis ACO has a pattern of doing this. . . . Should she give that to the media?
    That's up to her, and this question doesn't raise any legal issue.

As you have been told here, there is very little anyone can from a legal standpoint.

But if the main goal is to stop this sort of thing from happening in the future, I'd suggest letters to the editor of your local newspaper and social media like Facebook.

Quote Quoting labsmom5
    View Post
    ACO took the dog, took it out to local compost area and shot the animal and left it there
    I don't believe that.

That is definitely true. He told it to the owner, he told it to the dispatcher, he told it to the Animal shelter Director. The officer on the tape, said he does that. It is NOT the first time. I have personal knowledge that he actually has done this in the past. He told ME, personally when I was on the Board of Directors of the Animal Welfare league. Rather than bring a dog that he does not believe is adoptable, he will pick them up, take them out there and shoot them. The officer on tape even states that they know he does not follow protocol and does whatever he wants.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast