Hybrid View

Default Can We Choose a Different Ss Office to Be Seen at

Hi;

We are having problems with an extremely incompetent SS employee. The supervisor refuses to get involved and merely directs us back to the same individual.

My father passed away in Nov and SS kept sending my brother's payments to my father's checking that was in probate and deducting it from a paper check so that for a 3 month period my brother only rec'd an $80 check. Story was always the same, waiting for the system to clear itself. We told them several times to stop sending payments to the checking and they ignored us. The only solution was to tell them my brother was his own payee and to send him payment check only. They eventually got the back pay to my brother and checks going to him. We since moved my brother to a condo and we had to tell SS several times to change the address to the condo which they eventually did after 2 months. Today my brother rec'd a SS check addressed to both my father and brother and was sent to the old address. We have given SS copies of my father's death certificate twice but yet continue to receive correspondence addressed to him.

There are two SS offices near my brother's location. The one with the incompetent employees and another office that is 3 miles further in the opposite direction. Getting appointments with SS is like winning the lottery and doing a walk-in and wait to be seen is a life sucking experience. I would hate to go through the waiting room process only to find out we have to go back to the incompetent location. Do we have any rights on choosing which location will handle my brother's case?

Default Re: Can We Choose a Different Ss Office to Be Seen at

Do we have any rights on choosing which location will handle my brother's case?
    There's only one way you will find out and that's by asking.

Since it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission, I suggest you do the walk-in at the second location.

Bring a book or an I-pod and maybe some food.

It's easy to blame an employee but the fact is that the information you give is put into the computer system of a huge nationwide bureaucracy and it simply takes time for stuff to get changed in that system. It goes at it's own pace. You can certainly go to another office but things won't move any faster.

Quote Quoting LegalWriter
    View Post
    It's easy to blame an employee but the fact is that the information you give is put into the computer system of a huge nationwide bureaucracy and it simply takes time for stuff to get changed in that system. It goes at it's own pace. You can certainly go to another office but things won't move any faster.
    Address changes can take 30-60 days and in some cases longer. A person cannot become their own payee soley based on their or a family members requesting it. There is a,reason your brother was not his own payee. Your brother can ask his doctor for a,letter stating he can manage his finances. But it is no guarantee SSA,will agree. SSA,may or may not decide your brother is no longer disabled and stop his monthly benefits. Going to a different office will make no difference.

You can walk in to any office in the country, but there is no guarantee that the new office will be more efficient than the old office. And if they may try to encourage you into going back to the other office. Also, the new office will not have any employees with familiarity with the problems you are having, so you will have to explain it again and again. And maybe again.

Now, when there are problems, the computer selects the office by the zip code of the mailing address of the recipient. So one office may be working on a case, but another office will have it on their list as something they are supposed to be working on. Sometimes works fine, other times it is easy to pass the buck.

1. Sponsored Links