Default Neighbor Thinks He Owns Past His Surveyed Boundaries

My question involves property in NY. I am currently having a neighbor saying he owns past his surveyed boundaries. We both used the same surveyor and our lines match up. But this one neighbor thinks he owns past the boudaries. He came on our property removed out no trespassing sign and stole a trail cam. What is the best way to deal with a neighbor like this.

I have links to both our surveys.

Default Re: Neighbor Thinks He Owns Past His Surveyed Boundaries

Call the police about the trespassing and the theft.

Sue him and get an injunction against him coming on to your property.

Quote Quoting rrolleston
    View Post
    My question involves property in NY. I am currently having a neighbor saying he owns past his surveyed boundaries. We both used the same surveyor and our lines match up. But this one neighbor thinks he owns past the boudaries. He came on our property removed out no trespassing sign and stole a trail cam. What is the best way to deal with a neighbor like this.

I have links to both our surveys.
    There must be a back story if you had a trail cam set up.

The police may take a report but likely not do much else as this would be a civil matter if the neighbor claims that it is a boundary dispute.

Unfortunately, you have to take him to court and get an injunction as AJ posted.

I returned a trail cam myself expecting the same--bought a battery operated outdoor security camera that records wirelessly to the internet and an indoor dvd so that the proof wouldn't disappear w the camera if the neighbor decided to take it (there would also be video evidence of the theft I could provide at that point). I sunk 4 foot tall garden fence posts just inside the official property pins from the original survey to make clear where the boundaries are--so there could be no mistaking where the lines are as an excuse (which the neighbor had been saying when they were digging into our property--even though I explained where the lines are before they began digging).

I'm also in NY, and the police asked if I had proof of the boundary that I claimed there was trespass against. As I had just had a survey, I did have full knowledge of the property line, and they took the complaint and filed a police report so that if there were further issues there was a log of the incident.

Since they already stole a trail cam, I'd set up 2 cameras--each facing the other so they can't remove one without being recorded by the other (and make sure you save pdfs or print copies of both surveys in case they are taken off line). Good luck!

1. Sponsored Links