Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I Buy a Motorcycle Without a Tiltle and a Hand Written Bile of Sale

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: How can I get a motorcycle register with \out a title and vin don't match vehicle.

Default Re: I Buy a Motorcycle Without a Tiltle and a Hand Written Bile of Sale

What state and what do you mean the vin doesn’t match the vehicle?

why didn’t you get the title?

Quote Quoting Demetrice711
    View Post
    My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: How can I get a motorcycle register with \out a title and vin don't match vehicle.
    If you don't have the title, how do you know the vin doesn't match the vehicle? Are you saying that the motor and frame vin's don't match? Or are you saying that the vin on the bill of sale doesn't match that on the bike?

How do you know that the person that sold you the bike actually owned it? You can check the vin online to see if the vin comes back as stolen or a salvage title. Just Google VIN check and you can check.

Since you didn't give us your state, we can't say whether or not the DMV offers a bonded title to get the bike titled and registered. You can check with your state's DMV and ask them.

This is what going on, the vin on the motorcycle is for a Acura when I had a police look it up. Its a Honda Goldwing. I have no title for only a hand written bill of sale sign by a guy who said he was the owner but never had it register in his name. Now he want respond to me and I cant find the pre-owner to straighten this out. How can I get the vin number register to match the motorcycle and get a new title.

I am in the state of Florida and the guy that sold me the motorcycle live in Florida also. When I got the motorcycle it had a Tennessee tag on it.

That is a question for your state's DMV. There is a chance that you can't.

Now it’s apparent why you didn’t get the title. It would look like an obvious scam if the guy handed you a title for an Acura (as far as I know Acura only makes cars) I suspect you may not even have the sellers real name.

Since the motorcycle doesn’t, effectively, have a vin, I have my doubts you will be able to title the motorcycle. You can’t use the vin that’s on it because that vin is already assigned to another vehicle. This is actually worse than simply not having a title. You have no means to verify it isn’t stolen (which given the situation there is a high probability it is).

So, what you do is take it to your local Honda motorcycle dealer and ask them if there is another original vin on the bike and if so, would they find it. Some vehicles have vin stamped in more that one place. Some of them are “secret” (at least not widely advertised) so the chances of a thief altering the obvious vin doesn’t prevent identifying the vehicle.

Then, if they can provide you with a vin, you research that id and go from there.

If they cant provide any help, you take your best shot with the dmv.

I wouldnt hold my breath on being able to register this vehicle in your name. There are too many problems consistent with a scam to make it hopeful.

Do you still have the tag? If so and there actually is a title out there somewhere it is likely a TN title.

At best I think you have learned a lesson you will use the rest of your life. Worse case you are in possession of a stolen motorcycle and the police, prosecutor, judge, and jury won't believe your story.

Florida is the state, I didn't get the title because he lost it before he register it in his name.

View Post
    Florida is the state, I didn't get the title because he lost it before he register it in his name.

Likely story. Unlikely to be true.

Think about it; the vin matches an Acura. Not only not a Honda but not even a motorcycle. The guy has an unlikely excuse for not having the title. The car is from another state. You can’t contact the guy now the sale has been completed.

let me guess, you made the transaction at a mall parking lot or if at a house, you never saw the guy enter or exit the house.

Unless Tennessee is unique, it is illegal to pass through a title without registering it in your name. It’s generally the basis for the crime of tax evasion.

And you would be looking for a Tennessee title because the vehicle was registered in Tennessee and the guy you bought it from never transferred the title to him, which would have resulted in a Florida title.

You say the bike has a Tennessee registration. Do you have the actual paper documents from Tennessee showing the plate registered to the motorcycle where there would be the vin to be able to match or is all you have is a plate on the back of the bike?

View Post
    No, you didn't get the title because the guy didn't have it to give to you. You don't actually know why he didn't have it.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast