Default Dealer Made Out My Motorcycle Registration to Someone Else

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Pennsylvania.
    I purchased a new Kawasaki Ninja from a dealership. When they filled out the registration information they made it out to someone else and I never received it. A year later I realized there mistake. I contacted the Dealership and was told it was out of there hands and was my fault for not notifying them within 90 days. I assumed the registration was in the packet of papers I was given at the time of purchase. The Dealership does not return my calls and is not helpful. What can I do?

Default Re: Dealer Made Out My Motorcycle Registration to Someone Else

Quote Quoting Alan Saunders
    View Post
    My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Pennsylvania.
    I purchased a new Kawasaki Ninja from a dealership. When they filled out the registration information they made it out to someone else and I never received it. A year later I realized there mistake. I contacted the Dealership and was told it was out of there hands and was my fault for not notifying them within 90 days. I assumed the registration was in the packet of papers I was given at the time of purchase. The Dealership does not return my calls and is not helpful. What can I do?
    Its time to sue them. Your bike may technically belong to someone else at this point.

Default Re: Dealer Made Out My Motorcycle Registration to Someone Else

View Post
    I purchased a new [motorcycle] from a dealership. When they filled out the registration information they made it out to someone else and I never received it. A year later I realized there mistake. I contacted the Dealership and was told it was out of there hands and was my fault for not notifying them within 90 days.
    The notion that it's "out of there [sic] hands" because you didn't discover the dealer's screw up within 90 days is beyond absurd. That said, it's completely beyond my ability to comprehend how you couldn't have noticed this before a year had gone by. When you buy a new vehicle, you typically receive the registration certificate and license plate(s) from the DMV a few weeks after the purchase, not from the dealer at the time of the purchase. Were you still driving with a dealer plate on the bike after a year?

View Post
    I assumed the registration was in the packet of papers I was given at the time of purchase.
    Why would you assume that? I assume that PA, like pretty much every other state, requires that you have the registration certificate in the vehicle or with you when you're driving. Are you saying that you drove for a year with the entire "packet of papers" on your person or in a storage compartment in the bike?

View Post
    What can I do?
    The good news is that, despite your own negligence in failing to discover this sooner, it's still the dealer's screw up that it needs to fix. Assuming you can't contact the person in whose name the bike was registered and get him/her to sign it over to you, I think you ought to enlist the services of a local attorney to start the process with a demand letter to the dealer.

1. Sponsored Links