Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Being Denied 100% Benefits

I worked 10 years to accumulate my 40 quarters starting in 1958. Then in 1959, I decided to serve my country by joining the army to get my obligation out of the way.
    Afterwhich I join the workforce to finish out my 40 quarters under social security. Then I took a civil service job with my fire department that is covered by a pension and not social security in 1969. I retired from the fire department at age 55 and at age 62, I applied for social security benefits. But before I applied, I learned that I would not receive the full benefit because I also receive a pension from the city.
    Now I am 79 years old and starting to notice my dollars do not go as far as they did prior to retiring. There are two reasons. One is inflation, but the main one is that Medicare has taken out all the raise's social security awarded for the last 5 or 6 years. It's called a COLA. It appears that social security is pulling a fast one on retiress's under the same circumstances as mine. They do not care about the increase in cost of buying or renting real estate, food, clothing and etc. So they allow Medicare to eat up any increase I get from social security. This is not fair. It did not cost the government anything while I and my employers contributed to social security.
    When I question them, the reply was I did not make enough money when I was a young man making his way. But if I am not mistaken, there is a minimum payment to to those with 40 quarters paid in as of 1968 and more adjustments since then.
    Now my question is: Do I have a case and file a class action against social security and what expenses I may incur in doing so?

Default Re: Being Denied 100% Benefits

I understand your plight, but you're not going anywhere trying to fight this. The fundamental truths are:

Various government retirement plans (like the old federal CSRS and your fire department), didn't pay in to social security, so you will likely have to pay medicare premiums. now.
    There has always been an income threshold on quarters ($50 up to 1978).
    There's nothing that says social security benefits or your pension has to keep up with medicare premiums.

What you can do is make sure they have your history correct. If you joined the military in 1959 and stayed in on active duty to 1969, you should have accumulated sufficient quarters to avoid the medicare premiums. However, you were in at a time when the credit wasn't automatically applied, though they should have caught it long before this. You should have 40 quarters, unless I'm missing something.

I should have stated that I filled my obligation to the military 1n 1962, then I worked to finish out my 40 quarters in the private sector. I think what you are missing is that I was told by social security that because I am receiving a pension, my entitled was reduced. I received the same information from my Union. I should have received the same entitled as those with just 40 quarters paid in. Labor Unions across the nation. have appealed to their congressman against this injustice but I have not seen any progress. Another point is how can social security ignore the true cost of living ( COLA) besides Medicare costs? The government should adjust Medicares cost on a percentage basis vs cost of living for other expenses.
    Then I might see an increase in what I am receiving now.

You wouldn’t receive full social security benefits because you applied at age 62. If you were born in 1940 (just guessing based on when you started working and joined the military), you would have had to wait until you were 65 and 6 months to get full benefits. Since you retired at age 62, you would receive only 77 1/2% of your full calculated amount.

Thank you,
    But that does not solve the issue and that is Medicare costs. Cola means everthing not just cost of providing health care under Medicare. How does the government justify allowing Medicare to take away all my social security increase while ignoring cost of living for other expenses?
    Just a reminder, I was told my benifit would be reduced not because I applied at age 62 but because I am receiving a pension. Now that is rediculous. Maybe the clerks at social security are not aware of the rules for benefits. My pension should not have been considered when determiming my true benefit.

I'm in the same boat as you.

I worked for several years prior to taking a civil service job. The first few years of civil service I paid both into Social Security and the state retirement system but then payment into social security ended.

I eventually retired and when I was eligible for Social Security, my few years under their system entitled me to $550 per month. However, because I was drawing a state pension, something called the Windfall Profits Act required that they cut my Social Security check down to $225. Everything went fine until I was eligible for Medicare. The cost of my monthly premiums exceeded my Social Security payment by $30+ dollars, plus my drug coverage costs another $400+ per years. Now when people ask me how much I collect in Social Security retirement, I tell them I get nothing and instead, am required to pay Social Security over $800 per year out of my state pension check.

Our only solutiin is to convince Congress to repeal the Windfall Profits Act. Now seems like a good time to do so. All the politicians running for office seem hell bent on giving everything away for free to buy votes. Why not take care of us while they're at it?

Quote Quoting rjlocal22
    View Post
    Thank you,
    How does the government justify allowing Medicare to take away all my social security increase while ignoring cost of living for other expenses?
    It is not the Social Security Administration (SSA) that is to blame for your problem. The amount of benefits you get and the COLA adjustments are all set by Congress. SSA has to apply the law as Congress wrote it. So if you want to see a change, write your members of Congress and ask them to up the COLA and benefit levels. It won't be an easy thing for Congress to do. It's been long known that the Social Security old age benefit and Medicare programs face a financial crisis in the years ahead because baby boomers are beginning to retire which will add huge numbers of people taking Social Security benefits. At the same time, the number of working people paying FICA taxes (Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid taxes) will decline relative to the number of those getting benefits. If no changes are made, the Social Security trust fund will run dry in the not too distant future with the result that the government will be unable to fully pay current benefits. To fix that problem, either Congress needs to raise the FICA taxes working people pay, reduce the benefits that recipients get, delay the age at which people may claim benefits, or some combination of that. Congress has known this for at least 20 years, and yet it has done nothing significant to fix it. That's because no matter what they do to fix it, they fear a huge voter backlash. But each year that goes by without a fix the more drastic the fix will have to be.

Quote Quoting rjlocal22
    View Post
    I should have stated that I filled my obligation to the military 1n 1962, then I worked to finish out my 40 quarters in the private sector. I think what you are missing is that I was told by social security that because I am receiving a pension, my entitled was reduced. I received the same information from my Union. I should have received the same entitled as those with just 40 quarters paid in. Labor Unions across the nation. have appealed to their congressman against this injustice but I have not seen any progress. Another point is how can social security ignore the true cost of living ( COLA) besides Medicare costs? The government should adjust Medicares cost on a percentage basis vs cost of living for other expenses.
    Then I might see an increase in what I am receiving now.
    Social Security benefits are based on the amount of time you were paying into SS, as well as how much money you earned during that period (and therefore how much you paid in). No person's 40 quarters are going to match another person's 40 quarters so no, your SS benefit would not equal someone's else's benefit.

Medicare premiums are now based on total income, so yes, its quite possible that your Medicare premiums might outstrip your COLA SS raises. Its a change that I personally don't like, but its the law that Congress has passed.

Thanks Senior Member and Taxing Matters,
    Senior Member I am humbled to see your positon is worse thern mine and both are you are correct in that social security needs to be reformed and backed up for past mistakes. What is happening now is not what President Rooselvelt had offered,

IIworking,
    Congress is supposed to represent the people. So just what are they thinking? The people we elected are out of touch. "Trump for 2020" Count me in.

Social security was not intended to be a retirement program. It was created to provide a very limited amount of financial assistance for those that had nothing else.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast