Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Being Denied 100% Benefits

President Rooselvelt offered security for those in retirement years. But he did not forsee future problems. Now this should have been addresed by the do nothing congress.

Your Social Security Retirement is reduced due to you applying before you reached Full Retirement Age in addition to your pension.

I understand its reduced for early application, but I fail to understand why it is further reduced because I receive a pension. Here is a scenario: Let's say another person started working the same time as me and received the same salery. Then as soon as he got his 40 quarters in, he stopped working and disappeared. Now after 30 some years at age 62, at about the year 2002, he suddenly appears and applys for social security. I am willing to bet he will receive a higher benefit. I believe social security has their own scenarios in determining the final benefit and I think one of them is based own need and I used to think it was based only on how much anyone paid in to social security minus the early application.

Many people wonder how we figure their Social Security retirement benefit. We base Social Security benefits on your lifetime earnings. We adjust or “index” your actual earnings to account for changes in average wages since the year the earnings were received. Then Social Security calculates your average indexed monthly earnings using the 35 years in which you earned the most. We apply a formula to these earnings and arrive at your basic benefit, or “primary insurance amount.” This is how much you would receive at your full retirement age — 65 or older, depending on your date of birth.
    You can read more here.

If You’re a government worker with a pension. If you also get, or are eligible for, a retirement or disability pension from work for which you didn’t pay Social Security
    taxes (usually a government job or a job in a foreign country), we apply a different formula to your average indexed monthly earnings. To find out how the Windfall
    Elimination Provision (WEP) affects your benefits, go to www.socialsecurity.gov/gpo-wep and use the WEP online calculator or view the WEP fact sheet to find out how we figure your benefit. Or, you can read Windfall Elimination Provision (Publication No. 05-10045). You can find a detailed explanation about how we calculate your retirement benefit in the Annual Statistical Supplement, 2017, Appendix D. The publication is available on the internet at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/policy...mps/supplement.

I skimmed over that document and I was not impressed. Thanks to "Reagan", it was his administration that introduced WEP. This is the thanks I and others got for serving our country, and paying our fair share of taxes while others evaded the draft and their fair share of taxes. By the way, why were railroad workers exempt from the WEP? Is that job hazardous? Social Security should talk to a firefighter or policeman and they will tell them about hazards.

Quote Quoting rjlocal22
    View Post
    Thanks Senior Member and Taxing Matters,
    Senior Member I am humbled to see your positon is worse thern mine and both are you are correct in that social security needs to be reformed and backed up for past mistakes. What is happening now is not what President Rooselvelt had offered,

IIworking,
    Congress is supposed to represent the people. So just what are they thinking? The people we elected are out of touch. "Trump for 2020" Count me in.
    They are NOT out of touch. They made a necessary change in the system to help keep it healthy and solvent for a while longer. Unfortunately, more changes are going to be needed in the future to keep it healthy and solvent. People likely won't like those changes either.

Neither Trump nor anybody else can change the necessity for changes in the SS and Medicare system.

Quote Quoting rjlocal22
    View Post
    I understand its reduced for early application, but I fail to understand why it is further reduced because I receive a pension. Here is a scenario: Let's say another person started working the same time as me and received the same salery. Then as soon as he got his 40 quarters in, he stopped working and disappeared. Now after 30 some years at age 62, at about the year 2002, he suddenly appears and applys for social security. I am willing to bet he will receive a higher benefit. I believe social security has their own scenarios in determining the final benefit and I think one of them is based own need and I used to think it was based only on how much anyone paid in to social security minus the early application.
    No, he will NOT receive a higher benefit unless he made more money than you did and therefore paid more into the system. You are not getting a reduced benefit because you have a pension, you are getting a benefit based on the amount of money you paid into the system.

Quote Quoting rjlocal22
    View Post
    I skimmed over that document and I was not impressed. Thanks to "Reagan", it was his administration that introduced WEP. This is the thanks I and others got for serving our country, and paying our fair share of taxes while others evaded the draft and their fair share of taxes. By the way, why were railroad workers exempt from the WEP? Is that job hazardous? Social Security should talk to a firefighter or policeman and they will tell them about hazards.
    Railroad workers, many police officers and many firefighters do not pay into the SS system, which is why they do not receive SS benefits unless they had a later career where they did pay into the SS system. They are not getting SS benefits not because they have a pension, they are not getting SS benefits because they did not pay into the SS system.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    . You are not getting a reduced benefit because you have a pension, you are getting a benefit based on the amount of money you paid into the system.
    That's not what SSA says about a government pension. They use a different formula in those cases.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    That's not what SSA says about a government pension. They use a different formula in those cases.
    He didn't work for the federal government, he worked for a city fire department.

Quote Quoting rjlocal22
    View Post
    This is the thanks I and others got for serving our country, and paying our fair share of taxes while others evaded the draft and their fair share of taxes.
    I'm sorry, but the Social Security issue has nothing to do with serving the country. Every citizen, whether veteran or not, is subject to the same SSA rules. Pulling out the veteran card for something like this just doesn't cut it.

You do understand that given the particulars of your generation you're quite likely to draw far more in benefits than you paid in FICA taxes, right? And that's despite the COLA problem you are complaining about. So while I understand the issue you have, it's not exactly like you are being cheated out of anything here.

Again, he needs to verify that his credits were applied properly especially for his time of active duty (which given he was in for ten years should have given him enough quarters, plus there's an additional credit). If it's truly a quarter counting thing this may be it. If it's because he retired before the FRA, that's another story.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast