Default Fire Takes Out Tenants Building, Can I Sue Their Innsurance Company Directly

My question involves insurance law for the state of: Arizona

A fire destroyed a restaurant that I had rented to another business. It was totaled, in addition, to be able to get to the destroyed building, a second building had to be demolished for access. There are significant problems with the claims, can I sue my tenants insurance company directly or do I have to file against my tenants?

Default Re: Fire Takes Out Tenants Building, Can I Sue Their Innsurance Company Directly

Well, you haven’t actually explained why either of them would be liable to you for the damages.

Default Re: Fire Takes Out Tenants Building, Can I Sue Their Innsurance Company Directly

Quote Quoting creeker000
    View Post
    A fire destroyed a restaurant that I had rented to another business.
    So...you own the building and rented it to a person or entity who operated a restaurant in the building. Correct? What was the cause of the fire?

Quote Quoting creeker000
    View Post
    a second building had to be demolished for access.
    Do you also own this second building?

Quote Quoting creeker000
    View Post
    There are significant problems with the claims
    Such as?

Quote Quoting creeker000
    View Post
    can I sue my tenants insurance company directly or do I have to file against my tenants?
    Anyone can sue anyone for anything, but why would you sue either your tenants (plural?) or their insurer? Why wouldn't you just make a claim against your own property owner's insurance?

Quote Quoting creeker000
    View Post
    There are significant problems with the claims, can I sue my tenants insurance company directly or do I have to file against my tenants?
    Their insurance company didn't cause your loss. In addition that, their insurance company has no obligation to you. Its contract is with its insured — the tenants. So absent something unusual that you failed to mention you'd not succeed in suing the tenant's insurance company. If you have reason to believe that the fire was caused by the negligence or intentional act of your tenants then you may sue them for your loss. But you should have had adequate insurance to cover this, in which case the far easier and less expensive course of action here is to make the claim with your insurance company.

Quote Quoting creeker000
    View Post
    There are significant problems with the claims,
    Did you have your own insurance on your building or were you relying on your tenants to cover it?

Don't most commercial insurance policies have a subrogation clause? Property owner's insurance company pays the claim and then recovers from the tenant's insurer and/or the tenants.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    Don't most commercial insurance policies have a subrogation clause?
    Yes.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    Property owner's insurance company pays the claim and then recovers from the tenant's insurer and/or the tenants.
    When the tenant's negligence caused the fire.

If the tenant was not negligent, then the owner's insurance company does not recover from the tenant's insurance.

Creeker000 wrote that there were significant problems with the claims but has not come back to explain.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    In addition that, their insurance company has no obligation to you. Its contract is with its insured — the tenants. So absent something unusual that you failed to mention you'd not succeed in suing the tenant's insurance company.
    In a commercial landlord-tenant situation, it is entirely possible (and not at all unusual) that the lease requires the tenant to have the landlord named as an additional insured on the tenant's insurance. That would allow the landlord to make a first-party claim against the insurance, although that doesn't mean the landlord would have a valid basis to sue.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    In a commercial landlord-tenant situation, it is entirely possible (and not at all unusual) that the lease requires the tenant to have the landlord named as an additional insured on the tenant's insurance. That would allow the landlord to make a first-party claim against the insurance, although that doesn't mean the landlord would have a valid basis to sue.
    Quite true, but then as you imply the most straightforward way to go in that case is to simply make the direct claim with the insurance company. It would be helpful if the OP clarified a few things, and whether he was a named insured on the tenant's policy is one of them.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    It would be helpful if the OP clarified a few things,
    Like why there are "significant problems" with the claims (plural?), among other things.

1. Sponsored Links