Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default No Contract Signed

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: MA

A photographer wants to charge me the full amount of a photo shoot when she didn’t even do the work. I had to cancel on her due to a death in the family and now she wants $700+ for it “not happening”.. there was no contract signed and she is now contacting my friends and family, coworkers at my job saying how I owe her. Does she have any legal standing?

Default Re: No Contract Signed

Probably not.

Did you cancel or just not show up?

Standing? Absolutely. Does she have a valid case? Maybe. We'd need more details to assess this intelligently.

What was the subject of the photo shoot?

When did you book the shoot?

When was the shoot to occur?

When did you cancel?

Did the photographer book another gig for the time when your shoot would have occurred? If so, how much did she earn from that gig?

At the time that you booked the shoot, was there any discussion about cancellation fees or otherwise what would happen if you cancelled? If so, what was discussed?

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    At the time that you booked the shoot, was there any discussion about cancellation fees or otherwise what would happen if you cancelled? If so, what was discussed?
    That especially

Quote Quoting Jeanieninja
    View Post
    she is now contacting my friends and family, coworkers at my job
    Why would she have the contact information for your friends, family and coworkers?

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    In addition to this, how did you find this photographer? If through her Facebook business page or web site, does she have Terms of Service listed there?

Cancelled and then she booked me for the next weekend and I couldn’t make it due to the family emergency, it was a whirlwind and stressful emotionally to respond to anyone at that point

Facebook, no other tems and no discussion of any type of cancellations or fees

Found it on Facebook and started messaging everyone associated with me

Family photo shoot, expensive I know, but it was all of us and individual pictures .. first time I cancelled due to an emergency second time I couldn’t make it due to a death in the family, I couldn’t respond because my brain was elsewhere at that point.
    There was never any discussion of cancellation procedures or fees to be paid if I backed out

You didn't answer the most important questions I asked:

When did you book the shoot?

When was the shoot to occur?

When did you cancel?

Did the photographer book another gig for the time when your shoot would have occurred? If so, how much did she earn from that gig?

Quote Quoting Jeanieninja
    View Post
    Cancelled and then she booked me for the next weekend and I couldn’t make it due to the family emergency, it was a whirlwind and stressful emotionally to respond to anyone at that point

Facebook, no other tems and no discussion of any type of cancellations or fees

Found it on Facebook and started messaging everyone associated with me

Family photo shoot, expensive I know, but it was all of us and individual pictures .. first time I cancelled due to an emergency second time I couldn’t make it due to a death in the family, I couldn’t respond because my brain was elsewhere at that point.
    There was never any discussion of cancellation procedures or fees to be paid if I backed out
    shoot when she didn’t even do the work. I had to cancel on her due to a death in the family and now she wants $700+ for it “not happening”.. there was no contract signed and she is now contacting my friends and family, coworkers at my job saying how I owe her. Does she have any legal standing?

Quote Quoting nailiyatsi
    View Post
    shoot when she didn’t even do the work. I had to cancel on her due to a death in the family and now she wants $700+ for it “not happening”.. there was no contract signed and she is now contacting my friends and family, coworkers at my job saying how I owe her. Does she have any legal standing?
    Why has your username changed?

Given what you have posted no, you don't owe her and I would not respond to her. That said, my husband is a photographer and people scheduling shoots and then backing out last minute or ghosting like you did are why we charge non-refundable cash deposits when the shoot is booked. It's not a matter of the photographer not doing your work, the problem is that the photographer isn't getting any work period during that time. The photographer that you retained is likely very new and hasn't figured out yet how to run a business.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast