Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Non Custodial Parent Moving Out of State

Quote Quoting Blawrence5
    View Post
    Maybe you could help explain the process for Modification for me. I am assuming that we both will not be in court as she is 17 hours away.
    As previously mentioned, I doubt anyone here is familiar with family law procedure in Iowa (not everyone who posts here regularly is a lawyer, and I have no idea whether anyone who posts here regularly is in Iowa). Generally, however, the process of seeking a contested modification involves filing a petition or motion, along with supporting papers. The opposing party then has a chance to file an opposition, and the moving party may have an opportunity to file a reply to the opposition. The court might schedule a hearing or might simply decide the matter based on the papers. If the court does schedule a hearing, it may or may not be an evidentiary hearing that the parties have to attend.

You can find examples of long-distance child visitation plans online. There won't be as many visits but they will be of longer duration, and the plan can include Skype sessions or phone calls so the NCP can stay in contact with the children. Also just because the NCP has the right to visitation doesn't mean that right has to be exercised. If the visitation plan states "six weeks over the summer" but NCP can only have the kids for three weeks due to work responsibilities, that's fine. Next year the NCP may be able to take them for longer.

Since the NCP moved away you can request that the NCP cover travel expenses, such as by doing all of the driving, by buying plane tickets, etc.

I have read on here before that Indiana has a pretty comprehensive visitation and fair schedule for situations like this.
    Make sure you LOVE your child more than you HATE your ex.

Quote Quoting readytoleave
    View Post
    I have read on here before that Indiana has a pretty comprehensive visitation and fair schedule for situations like this.
    The Indiana Parenting Time Guidelines. Type that in google and you will hit on it immediately. Yes, its incredibly comprehensive.

Quote Quoting Blawrence5
    View Post
    OK maybe not the best choice of words, however comparing a man or woman of Honor overseas to someone that willingly moves away from their child, not because of the job, that came years after she met someone on the internet. And chose to not be in her child's life for no other reason than thinking about herself is hardly comparable in my opinion....Just saying. Thank you!!
    Actually someone who is in the military who gets deployed or has to PCS to another state is the same as a civilian who moves out of state for a job. I'm in the military - and I would say someone moving for a job (any job) is comparable. llworking is right - a job move is not a lifestyle change. (Also fyi - not everyone in the military is a person of "honor").

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2