Default Legal Venue

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Washington

I'll be served with a Summons and Complaint soon for an eviction. The property in question is in Yakima County, eastern Washington, but the legal owner and his attorney both reside in King County, western Washington. My understanding is that the Complaint should be filed in the same county where the property is situated. My vehicle isn't terribly reliable, so I'd much prefer to stay local if I can.

Question: What are the guidelines regarding legal venue in a case like this ? Is the plaintiff's attorney required to file in Yakima County ? If not, and he instead chooses to file in King County, can I fight the choice of venue without an attorney ? Thank you.

Default Re: Legal Venue

Under the Washington state statutes on unlawful detainer, jurisdiction is given to the superior court in the county where the property (or some part of it) is located. See RCW 59.12.050. The more general statute on venue in actions involving real estate, including actions for possession (which is what an unlawful detainer action is) specifies venue in the county where the real property is located. RCW 4.12.010(1). So it appears the only place that the landlord may file it is in Yakima county since that is where the property is located. If the landlord files in some other county, you could move to have it dismissed based on jurisdiction or moved to Yakima county based on jurisdiction/venue.

Quote Quoting martin2681
    View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Washington

I'll be served with a Summons and Complaint soon for an eviction.

Why? And how do you know that? Have you already been served a termination notice? Pay or quit?

Might be to your advantage to leave before the eviction is filed. Once filed, it becomes public record and could adversely affect your ability to rent later on.

Quote Quoting martin2681
    View Post
    My understanding is that the Complaint should be filed in the same county where the property is situated.
    Correct.

Quote Quoting martin2681
    View Post
    can I fight the choice of venue without an attorney ?
    We have no way of knowing if you have this ability. If your intent was to ask whether you'd be required to be represented by counsel, the answer is no.

1. Sponsored Links