Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Default Re: Does the Owner of a Lakebed Own the River That Feeds It

First, your link to the map images is broken. All I get is an error 404. You should look into that.

Some of the statements you made about navigable-in-fact for commercial or recreational uses are not accurate. Read the controlling NY case then come back and we can talk.

BTW, any argument about avulsion or accretion are of no significances in your case. These are both natural phenomenon that chances the landscape and to argue them as a matter of law in your case is a red herring.

Ok fine. If one wants to argue the changes are unnatural and as such avulsion, reliction, or accretion don’t apply, then it’s time to pack your bags and go home

If the issues used to address natural changes in a waterway don’t apply because of an unnatural alteration of a waterway, then the origin of the rights being addressed also do not apply because Luxton Lake was not a natural body of water. Any rights created due to the artificial creation of Luxton Lake went down the river (metaphorically speaking ) as the build up of water that resulted in Luxton Lake went down the river

The rights existing prior to the presence of Luxton Lake are returned to the condition they were prior to the existence of the lake.

And if anybody is thinking about reconstructing the dam: don’t. You cannot artificially alter a watercourse if it adversely affects other landowners.

So, with budwads argument taken to heart, it’s time to give up. You have no rights to access the river. The unnaturally created rights do not amount to an enforceable right to a natural body of water.

Since one’s rights are not affected by unnatural alterations of the waterline (per budwad) you could not have gained any rights under riparian or littoral law upon the artificial creation of Luxton Lake. Do we really want to stick with budwads argument that unnatural alterations to the waterline do not allow one to argue rights based on such an alteration?

Any righs to access a waterway will be based on riparian or littoral rights (New York has pretty much melded the two when discussing inland bodies of water) where one’s rights are addressed based on accretions, avulsion, and reliction. Otherwise it removes the discussion of being able to claim access rights based on the change in location of the waters edge.

Articranger: your discussion about the bed of the waterway doesn’t help. Given the land prior to flooding was privately held, even if One accepts the argument the bed became state land upon the flooding (it doesn’t though but that is another argument), once the land is exposed, title returns to the prior owner. That means the person that owned and controlled the land abutting the river as it existed prior to the creation of Luxton Lake regained control of those lands once Luxton Lake ceased to occupy those lands. I’m certain either their statement is not correct or your restatement here is not correct. Saying the bed is owned by the United States would put this issue into federal jurisdiction. Very few bodies of water within the overall boundary of the United States fall under federal ownership or federal jurisdiction. The waterway in question, if owned by any government entity, would surely be owned by the state of New York.

if I’m incorrect, well, that puts an entirely different spin on everything being discussed and the discussion would have to start over at the beginning to account for federal involvement.

Your statement regarding a right to use the waterway disregarding the navigability issue flies in the face of hundreds of years of legal precedent. I have an issue with the statement as written but since that is merely an adjunct issue, it would be of no service to muddle the true issue by discussing it.

If one wants to argue littoral rights, well, the only New York case I could find (which I believe is not settled yet) is largely based on the change in the waterline due to avulsion or reliction. Since budwad argues avulsion or reliction don’t apply, well, I guess it’s a moot point.

While budwad wants avulsion or reliction to not apply, if you want to make any sort of argument to claim rights of accessibility, you have to do it based on such issues. Otherwise it becomes one of what I wrote above regarding the loss of rights or one of a person artificially altering the location of the waterway. While riparian rights would allow for an argument in such a situation, it wouldn’t be to allow access to the water but one that would demand the natural course be returned. In the case at hand, since the owner of the land in question or their predecessors did not alter the waterway, there is no argument to either demand they return the watercourse to its natural condition or the change in location allows the owners of the riparian estates to enforce their riparian rights of access and use. Such an enforcement of those rights would require the state to perform what amounts to a taking under the laws. Such takings are controlled by one’s rights as enumerated with the US Constitution. It goes well beyond the exercising of an individuals rights of access to a waterway. You would be asking the state to take away the rights and control of their property when they had done nothing to cause the issue at hand. The state cannot simply remove one’s rights to exercise exclusive control over their lands if they were not the cause of the issue at hand without compensating them for their loss.

Btw: your “thin strip” statement is odd. Thin strip or not, if you cross the vertical plane that delineates a boundary that you have no right to enter, you are trespassing. That would mean technically you couldn’t even leap over another’s property without touching it legally.. just because it is a thin strip of land, it does not remove the owners rights to prohibit others from entering their land. Your suggestion that ignoring the landowners rights somehow makes your actions legal is simply wrong. Additionally, The issue regarding littoral rights is still incorrect in my opinion but even if there is some substance, it would be used as a defense when sued or prosecuted for trespassing. It doesn’t allow you to claim littoral rights allow you to access the waterway so the police cannot arrest you. You would have to prove your defense during trial.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    First, your link to the map images is broken. All I get is an error 404. You should look into that.

Some of the statements you made about navigable-in-fact for commercial or recreational uses are not accurate. Read the controlling NY case then come back and we can talk.

BTW, any argument about avulsion or accretion are of no significances in your case. These are both natural phenomenon that chances the landscape and to argue them as a matter of law in your case is a red herring.
    Let me know if this works

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XMgh8HzJU2buBooF6

I'll reread that case

Quote Quoting arcticranger
    View Post

I'll reread that case
    OK, that 1998 decision affirms that the South Branch of the Moose river is navigable-in-fact based on an accumulation of commercial and recreational uses. Is that correct?

The 2018 case I linked to concluded that "recreational use alone is insufficient to deem a waterway navigable-in-fact".

Let me know what I misstated, and if you were able to see my images.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    Ok fine. If one wants to argue the changes are unnatural and as such avulsion, reliction, or accretion don’t apply, then it’s time to pack your bags and go home
    Don't miss your train.

All three doctrines of water law ( avulsion, reliction, and accretion) deal with land (not water) and where the boundary lies between properties after a natural and sudden (Accretion) or gradual natural event ( alluvion ). Reliction is the natural gradual and permanent recession of water that results in dry land and who owns that land as a result. No one in this case is trying to claim land or reclaim land due to any of the three doctrines. Your red herring is a bust. And unless you can find a NY case that says removal of a man made dam equates to reliction I think your point is moot. And remember, we are speaking of access to the river not ownership of land or where a property boundary is.

Quote Quoting arcticranger
    View Post

The 2018 case I linked to concluded that "recreational use alone is insufficient to deem a waterway navigable-in-fact".

Let me know what I misstated, and if you were able to see my images.
    Your link works and I was able to see the images. The language of the easements and covenants is the interesting part to me. That first, the deeds included the easement to use the lake as it was then or as it would be in the future. That is an inducement to purchase and would likely be upheld by a court.

The 2018 case isn't settled yet and I suspect that it will be overturned on appeal. If the state says TMR is navigable-in-fact and open to the public, then all the other issues become moot.

If you were a real activist, you might get yourself arrested for accessing the TMR over the river bed. Have you a copy of the tax deed for the lake bed?

And the attacks continue. Seriously dude, chill the shit if you want a real discussion.

And no, we are speaking, in regards to the op, of access to the now non existent lake, not the river. The fact they are merely dominant tenants of an easement to the land of a servient tenant does not provide the op any rights under riparian law or littoral law. Your citation where you claimed it does speaks of the easement a riparian owner holds. You completely misinterpreted that. A dominant tenant of an easement upon a riparian owners property does not extend beyond the easement as defined. They have no standing to argue riparian rights as those rights are exclusive to a riparian owner. The owner of the riparian estate enjoys an easement across land held by another to utilize their water rights.

There is much case law available stating the riparian estate cannot be increased to include uplands. It can be diminished such as when severing the lands immediately adjacent to the water from other land such as in the creation of a subdivision such as the case in hand but the riparian rights cannot be extended to uplands.

I also never said anything close to claiming removal of a dam results in reliction. Not a single hint of such a claim.

So, using your argument, if the removal of an artificial means of increasing the water level does not fall under the law regarding the natural movement of a watercourse, then just the same, the artificial creation of a body of water cannot result in riparian rights. I know that to be not true so since the artificial creation of a body of water does result in riparian estates, the lowering of the body of water, by whatever means,, will call in the water laws based on the actions and conditions present. You can’t have the laws apply one way for the artificial creation and differently for the artificial reduction of the lake. If water rights are created by artificial means, they they can be lost by artificial means if the situation would result in a condition where the rights would be lost due to natural actions.

I suppose if the dam simply gave way without assistance of explosives, then you could accept avulsion theory.

I strongly caution the op against your suggestion the op risk arrest for trespass to access the water. The Sierra case did not determine a right to access a waterway. It dealt only with whether a waterway was deemed navigable due to being able to float it with less than the old standards in place and the rights to walk upon the bed and portaging.. and before you go there, portaging does not include wandering about another’s lands or accessing the water through those lands. It has been ruled many times it can allow one to leave the waterway the boater is already in only to portage around an unnavigable portion of the waterway. The right is limited to going no further from the waterway than necessary to achieve the goal of bypassing the blockage.

it did not allow one to trespass to access the waterway. Suggesting the op risk arrest based on that case is foolish

because of that, your statement that all other issues here become moot if the watercourse is deemed navigable is wrong. The watercourse being navigable is an entirely different issue with different rights involved. No matter if the river is a trickle or a raging torrent of water, unless there are valid rights of access, nothing is mooted regarding the ops query here.

budwad, your argument of inducement in the sale is also incorrect. While it may play against the seller, it cannot be used against the rights of an uninvolved third party. Suggesting such a relationship would be no different than claiming I gave you permission to trespass across my neighbor’s lawn and the courts would uphold such a promise and force the neighbor to allow it. At best it might allow for a rescission of the sale. It cannot allow for an illegal taking of the neighbors rights.

But, unless the seller actually claimed the right of access rather than the buyer presumed such, it would not allow a claim of false inducement. A buyer that depends on his own assumptions does not have a claim against a seller for false inducement.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    And the attacks continue. Seriously dude, chill the shit if you want a real discussion.

And no, we are speaking, in regards to the op, of access to the now non existent lake, not the river. The fact they are merely dominant tenants of an easement to the land of a servient tenant does not provide the op any rights under riparian law or littoral law. Your citation where you claimed it does speaks of the easement a riparian owner holds. You completely misinterpreted that. A dominant tenant of an easement upon a riparian owners property does not extend beyond the easement as defined. They have no standing to argue riparian rights as those rights are exclusive to a riparian owner. The owner of the riparian estate enjoys an easement across land held by another to utilize their water rights.

There is much case law available stating the riparian estate cannot be increased to include uplands. It can be diminished such as when severing the lands immediately adjacent to the water from other land such as in the creation of a subdivision such as the case in hand but the riparian rights cannot be extended to uplands.

I also never said anything close to claiming removal of a dam results in reliction. Not a single hint of such a claim.

So, using your argument, if the removal of an artificial means of increasing the water level does not fall under the law regarding the natural movement of a watercourse, then just the same, the artificial creation of a body of water cannot result in riparian rights. I know that to be not true so since the artificial creation of a body of water does result in riparian estates, the lowering of the body of water, by whatever means,, will call in the water laws based on the actions and conditions present. You can’t have the laws apply one way for the artificial creation and differently for the artificial reduction of the lake. If water rights are created by artificial means, they they can be lost by artificial means if the situation would result in a condition where the rights would be lost due to natural actions.

I suppose if the dam simply gave way without assistance of explosives, then you could accept avulsion theory.

I strongly caution the op against your suggestion the op risk arrest for trespass to access the water. The Sierra case did not determine a right to access a waterway. It dealt only with whether a waterway was deemed navigable due to being able to float it with less than the old standards in place and the rights to walk upon the bed and portaging.. and before you go there, portaging does not include wandering about another’s lands or accessing the water through those lands. It has been ruled many times it can allow one to leave the waterway the boater is already in only to portage around an unnavigable portion of the waterway. The right is limited to going no further from the waterway than necessary to achieve the goal of bypassing the blockage.

it did not allow one to trespass to access the waterway. Suggesting the op risk arrest based on that case is foolish

because of that, your statement that all other issues here become moot if the watercourse is deemed navigable is wrong. The watercourse being navigable is an entirely different issue with different rights involved. No matter if the river is a trickle or a raging torrent of water, unless there are valid rights of access, nothing is mooted regarding the ops query here.

budwad, your argument of inducement in the sale is also incorrect. While it may play against the seller, it cannot be used against the rights of an uninvolved third party. Suggesting such a relationship would be no different than claiming I gave you permission to trespass across my neighbor’s lawn and the courts would uphold such a promise and force the neighbor to allow it. At best it might allow for a rescission of the sale. It cannot allow for an illegal taking of the neighbors rights.

But, unless the seller actually claimed the right of access rather than the buyer presumed such, it would not allow a claim of false inducement. A buyer that depends on his own assumptions does not have a claim against a seller for false inducement.
    I disagree on all your points. Anything more would be a waste of time.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    I disagree on all your points. Anything more would be a waste of time.
    So you’re standing behind your suggestion the op commit a crime with no basis in the law to defend his actions?

i surely hope the op understands he is the one facing jail with no defense while you sit there with no remorse for telling him to do it should he follow your foolish suggestion.

Wow, what a guy.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    The language of the easements and covenants is the interesting part to me. That first, the deeds included the easement to use the lake as it was then or as it would be in the future. That is an inducement to purchase and would likely be upheld by a court.

If you were a real activist, you might get yourself arrested for accessing the TMR over the river bed. Have you a copy of the tax deed for the lake bed?
    Yes that language is interesting. What is an inducement to purchase in the context of that deed?

My activist interest is on VA hospitals that use injured veterans as lab rats for unsupervised young surgical interns.

I'll pvt that deed.

The rights existing prior to the presence of Luxton Lake are returned to the condition they were prior to the existence of the lake.
    How can that be since you are stating the current owner now has complete control of river usage? Those are not the pre-lake rights. I'm missing your point I think.

And if anybody is thinking about reconstructing the dam: donít. You cannot artificially alter a watercourse if it adversely affects other landowners.
    That would be a government project with appropriate impact studies.

Iím certain either their statement is not correct or your restatement here is not correct. Saying the bed is owned by the United States would put this issue into federal jurisdiction.
    It's possible it was an incorrect statement by the DRBC, I can try to confirm it. It did suggest federal ownership.

Your statement regarding a right to use the waterway disregarding the navigability
    I'm not a property rights lawyer and don't know whether "navigable" or "navigable-in-fact" are the sole criteria for water access. I appears they are, and yet the DEC has told me there IS no body that anoints a river in either category.

While budwad wants avulsion or reliction to not apply, if you want to make any sort of argument to claim rights of accessibility, you have to do it based on such issues.
    got it.

Btw: your ďthin stripĒ statement is odd.
    Yes that was weak. I relent there. lol!

jk, I keep replying to the wrong person sorry, I'll try to avoid doing it again. This BB needs a delete feature on replies.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    testing a reply to jk

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    So you’re standing behind your suggestion the op commit a crime with no basis in the law to defend his actions?

i surely hope the op understands he is the one facing jail with no defense while you sit there with no remorse for telling him to do it should he follow your foolish suggestion.

Wow, what a guy.
    don't worry I'm not taking either argument here as permission to do anything.

fyi I met the former town supervisor who arranged funding and DEC approval to rebuild the dam in exchange for making it a public lake. According to my black friends here the mostly African American community association just didn't want white people using the lake. I think it was one of only two predominantly African American communities in the Catskills and there was a strong sense that it should be racially exclusive. If they'd gone with the dam offer their homes would be worth 4x their current value.

Now their abandoned lake homes are being sold or auctioned off cheap and fixed up by NYC hipsters. Talk about cutting off your nose.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6