Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Will Sealing a Criminal Record Remove It from an FBI Background Check

My question involves criminal records for the state of: California

Will a successfully granted PC 851.91 order to "Seal" a record remove it from the FBI background check? Or would it need to be granted via PC 851.8 "Seal and Destroy"?

Thank you in advance for your time and advice.

Default Re: 851.91 Will Sealing a Record Remove It from the Fbi Background Check

851.91 does not result in the record being destroyed. 851.8 is a determination of innocence that destroys the record. By the terms of the statute, 851.8 directs the DOJ to notify federal authorities that the record has been ordered sealed and destroyed. 851.91 does not. The record is still accessible under certain circumstances.

Default Re: 851.91 Will Sealing a Record Remove It from the Fbi Background Check

In other words 851.91 would still appear on the federal background check with some verbage to the effect of being sealed rather than not appearing at all?

Under 851.91, CA DOJ is notified of the petition being granted. There is nothing in the statute requiring that any federal agency be notified. In 851.8, there is specific language to that effect. If the FBI is told, I have no idea what they would do since nobody is obligated to tell them.

I will follow up with them and reply on here once I find out.

Quote Quoting LegalWriter
    View Post
    Under 851.91, CA DOJ is notified of the petition being granted. There is nothing in the statute requiring that any federal agency be notified. In 851.8, there is specific language to that effect. If the FBI is told, I have no idea what they would do since nobody is obligated to tell them.
    Exactly... The FBI can be asked to follow the courts order, but they do not have to comply. Some times they do, most times they don't. It would be in the best interest of the seeker to have their attorney ask the state police to notify the FBI of PC 851.91.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Quote Quoting Who'sThatGuy
    View Post
    Exactly... The FBI can be asked to follow the courts order, but they do not have to comply. Some times they do, most times they don't. It would be in the best interest of the seeker to have their attorney ask the state police to notify the FBI of PC 851.91.
    The state police meaning the CA DOJ?

I'm not sure if it would be CA DOJ or CHP, have a qualified CA expungment attorney complete the process for you.

Default Re: Will Sealing a Criminal Record Remove It from an FBI Background Check

If the arresting agency approves the 851.8, can the DA still deny it?

Default Re: Will Sealing a Criminal Record Remove It from an FBI Background Check

Are you looking to exspung an arrest record that you were found not guilty or a charge that was never filed, or are you looking to exspung a criminal record that you were found guilty of in a court of law?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast