Default Can We Sue

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Michigan

Our tenant left our rental house on the 7th of June. They behind a large amount of furniture/clothing/etc. They owe for 3 months rent (3600) plus the water bill which in the lease they are responsible for is almost 1000. In addition to the cost to clean out the property. We figure were owed roughly almost 6000 minus their security deposit of 1500. I understand in MI small claims court can cover our losses if we sue.

But my question is if they left no forwarding address how will we notify them?. Ny guess is if we file the small claims court papers they will send them to the last known address which they left. Im new to all this so please forgive me ahead of time.

Thank you ahead for any help you can offer.

Default Re: Can We Sue

Quote Quoting UMRS
    View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Michigan

Our tenant left our rental house on the 7th of June. They behind a large amount of furniture/clothing/etc. They owe for 3 months rent (3600) plus the water bill which in the lease they are responsible for is almost 1000. In addition to the cost to clean out the property. We figure were owed roughly almost 6000 minus their security deposit of 1500. I understand in MI small claims court can cover our losses if we sue.

But my question is if they left no forwarding address how will we notify them?. Ny guess is if we file the small claims court papers they will send them to the last known address which they left. Im new to all this so please forgive me ahead of time.

Thank you ahead for any help you can offer.
    Are you sure that they actually moved out? If they come back for that furniture and clothing and you have disposed of it, it could be a problem for you.

Quote Quoting UMRS
    View Post
    Im new to all this.
    You must be, to let it go this far.

You need a lawyer and probably a private investigator to locate your tenants.

You will probably end up with a default judgment because they aren't likely to respond to the lawsuit.

Don't count on ever seeing your money.

Seems bleak, doesn't it. Well, that's the reality of being a landlord.

Before you consider suing keep a couple of things in mind...

Ask yourself do they have the funds to pay any of this should YOU (yes, it would be up to you) to find them, serve them and actually have them show up in court. If they don't you need to research whether your state allows wage garnishment (if they are working) or bank garnishment (and for that you'll need to know not only where they bank but their account numbers).

Keep in mind that even if you do win a judgement it will still be up to you to collect this. The court will do nothing to actually help in that matter.

The bottom line is that it is all left up to you to find them, have them served, present your evidence to the court (even if they don't show) and, if you win your judgment, try to squeeze any money out of these former tenants.

Depressing, isn't it. Still many landlords do file. I do; but in my county it's still very inexpensive to file and I want that information on their credit history to haunt them for a number of years. Have I ever seen any money from any of this? Only 3 times and then it was like squeezing blood out of a turnip.

Most times landlords don't bother going this route, get the place ready to rent again and keep all the receipts for repairs to take off next years taxes.

Gail

1. Sponsored Links

Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources