Default Does Patent Law Protect Products No Longer Supported by the Manufacturer

If a manufacturer drops support for a product--no service, and no OEM parts (effectively obsolescence)--may someone else design and make replacement parts for the product to continue to support current product owners?

Default Re: Does Patent Law Protect Products No Longer Supported by the Manufacturer

a patent offers its protections until it expires. Many products have been intentionally patented and shelved to prevent others from bringing the product to market. If you wish to do what you suggest, you should speak to the patent holder about a license to be able to duplicate the parts you speak of. If they not sell you a license there isnít much you can do about it.

Default Re: Does Patent Law Protect Products No Longer Supported by the Manufacturer

Quote Quoting criticalthinker
    View Post
    If a manufacturer drops support for a product--no service, and no OEM parts (effectively obsolescence)--may someone else design and make replacement parts for the product to continue to support current product owners?
    You would have to be much more specific to get an answer.

First, you don't mention that what you want to make is patented. Not everything on the market is patented. Many products that were patented are no longer protected and the patented aspect of the product has become known de facto in the art of that field. What matters is what part of the widget was protected by patent. If you can make the widget without violating the claims of the patent, you can make widgets.

Have you done a patent search on what you want to make?

Hi folks, and thanks for the replies.

Apparently I had misidentified this as a design patent and I was told it's a utility patent based on the improvements I had made.

JK, it appears that is spot on. Once I read your reply I was able to refine my searches and read more about how to approach speaking with the patent holder about licensing.

Budwad, sorry about that. I had left out that crucial detail. Yes, it is definitely patented. However I had heard yesterday that I could possibly patent the improvements and approach the original patent holder about cross-licensing so that we both benefit. Of course this goes back to what JK brought up...a conversation with the original patent holder. I contacted them and left my information in hopes that they'll reply to discuss. We shall see.

Thank you both for your responses. I appreciate it.

1. Sponsored Links