Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Can One Parent Object to a Driver's License for a Minor

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    From what I can see, that backs up the idea that only one adult "sponsor" is needed. Did you see something else there that indicates differently? If so can you quote it or indicate where you found it? There are lots of pages there to click on and it might be helpful to the OP to narrow down where the information can be found.
    Just the one sponsor is required. Dad will have to read all of that to learn all of the requirements for his teen's license.

Quote Quoting pg1067
    View Post
    Are you unaware of this child's gender? If not, why are you using plural pronouns?.
    I'm not trolling you but given your feelings about my legal understanding, I just had to reply.

The word child is not a plural pronoun. It is a noun. Here we are speaking of one child. There is nothing plural about a child.

One type is a plural pronoun, a pronoun that refers to and takes the place of plural nouns (a noun that refers to more than one person, place, or thing). Some common plural pronouns are them, they, their, and us.
    You should have been an English teacher.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    I'm not trolling you but given your feelings about my legal understanding, I just had to reply.

The word child is not a plural pronoun. It is a noun. Here we are speaking of one child. There is nothing plural about a child.

You should have been an English teacher.

"Child" is not a pronoun. "Them" and "They" are plural pronouns and the OP used both when he wrote "...and actually wants them to have to wait until they are 18."

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    "Child" is not a pronoun. "
    I said that a child is a noun.

OP said:
    The
    child in question is eligible for driver's education. The mother does not want the child to get their license as soon as they are able to (age 16),
    That is a singular noun. The use of the word they or them is grammatically correct when the predicate is singular.

I'm not commenting on OP's use of the words them and they which are plural pronouns.

I think it is clear that we are speaking about one child.

They/them is frequently used as a gender-neutral pronoun.

Quote Quoting jumanji
    View Post
    Not generally by a parent talking about his or her own child.

Quote Quoting jumanji
    View Post
    First, just because something is "frequently" done doesn't make it correct or not ambiguous.

Second, "they" and "them" are sometimes used to refer to a single person whose gender is unknown, but "they" and "them" are not "gender-neutral" singular pronouns. The only singular, gender-neutral, third-person pronoun in the English language is "it."

Third, if a parent (or person acting on behalf of a parent, as the OP appears to be) is referring to a single child, he/she will typically refer to the child as "he" or "she" (or "him" or "her"). I have never before seen a parent refer to a single child as "they" or "them."

Thanks for all of your responses. Well, except for the English lessons. This is an informal Internet forum, not a peer-reviewed medical journal.

It sounds like the best advice for the mother is to not sign or pay for anything. She should just let the father do whatever he wishes to do regarding getting the son a vehicle, license and insurance.

Quote Quoting Aquarius9217
    View Post
    Thanks for all of your responses. Well, except for the English lessons. This is an informal Internet forum, not a peer-reviewed medical journal.

It sounds like the best advice for the mother is to not sign or pay for anything. She should just let the father do whatever he wishes to do regarding getting the son a vehicle, license and insurance.
    While that is accurate, its also puzzling. My interpretation was that this thread was from the father's point of view, but this response tends to indicate that is from the mother's point of view. In any case, yes, the mother should not sign for or pay for anything regarding the driver's license if she objects.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    While that is accurate, its also puzzling. My interpretation was that this thread was from the father's point of view, but this response tends to indicate that is from the mother's point of view. In any case, yes, the mother should not sign for or pay for anything regarding the driver's license if she objects.
    I am not one of the parents at all. I am the boyfriend of the mother. I just notice a tendency of well-meaning individuals to immediately advise third parties to stay out of custody issues if you identify yourself as said third party in your question. Sound advice, of course, but I did get the answer she needed.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast