Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Trees We Cut on Neighbors Property with Permission

Not just healthy live trees, but completely different trees arranged to make screen between properties. Like we are paying for new landscaping for them. Only one of the trees was actually between the houses and provided no barrier. They want us to replace 12 foot stumps with bushy healthy trees. Also, the cost to plant, fertilizers, irrigation system, etc.

All your neighbor is entitled to is to be made whole before you cut the trees. Nothing more. Anything else they are asking for would not be awarded by a court.

It's time to stop responding to your neighbor. I know you want to make nice-nice but if you give in now, it will not end there. You already posted that they don't like your listing your property a vacation property so every little complaint will come back to bite you in the ass.

Take a wait-and-see attitude. That is my non-legal advice.

I am still of the opinion that you should get a quote for replacing the trees with the same kind that were there before, of about the same height as the stumps. No other extras involved. Then you will at least have documentation to prove that they are being unrealistic in their expectations.

One approach that has not been mentioned is non-legal but possibly effective: Maybe you could plant a tree clearly on your side of the property line that prevents the neighbor from seeing your hot tub. You would then have control of the tree—the downside only being that they might still pursue their claim.

In any case it appears that your neighbors will not like you anymore because they don’t want renters, which caused them to renege on their permission for you to cut trees followed by new demands for barrier trees. As implied by budwad, trying to appease will probably encourage future complaints.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2