Default How to Know if Your Name Will Appear in a National Retailer Theft Database Report

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Georgia.

In my younger and dumber days, I worked with a bunch of folk who helped themselves to work merchandise. So I did too. I got caught, had a nice talk with LP in the boss's office, and paid for all missing merchandise (I suspect some of the other's folks was in my fee, but whatever). No charges were made because the LP said he could tell I hadn't done anything like that before (no record and all he had to say was "anything you want to tell me?" and I was confessing).

I later tried to get a job with a retail chain and discovered this database exists when I was mailed a letter saying "no, I didn't have a job with them after all" and they included a copy of this file of mine.

This company chain I worked for has been out of business for 9 years now. My offense was 16 or so years ago. I've been scared to apply for a retail job ever since. How can I know for sure my name got dropped? I sent for a report from HireRight, but opted for email since I didn't want that going to my home address. They warned "not all reports will be emailed". Is there anything else I should be doing?

Default Re: National Retailer Theft Database Report - Yes, "in Most Cases" It's Gone in 7 Yea

Quote Quoting patchwork_tabby
    View Post
    This company chain I worked for has been out of business for 9 years now. My offense was 16 or so years ago. I've been scared to apply for a retail job ever since. How can I know for sure my name got dropped? I sent for a report from HireRight, but opted for email since I didn't want that going to my home address. They warned "not all reports will be emailed". Is there anything else I should be doing?
    You don't. Not knowing whether your name is there or not is a good part of the point.

Default Re: National Retailer Theft Database Report - Yes, "in Most Cases" It's Gone in 7 Yea

So some names get dropped after 7 years, but others may theoretically be on there forever? Do you have any links where I could research what companies don't contact them? I'm having a hard time with job hunting (been at my current one for 8 years) and I wonder if I'm applying for the wrong kind of jobs. Is that HireRight report any good?

The NRTD complies with the FCRA and hence the info should be gone after seven years from when they received it. HireRight now owns the database. You can make your inquiries with them. The request page you obviously already found has all the information.

Quote Quoting patchwork_tabby
    View Post
    So some names get dropped after 7 years, but others may theoretically be on there forever?
    When used by employers to screen applicants for employment the use of that database will be subject to the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). That Act regulates more than just credit reports. It covers any "consumer report" and includes third party criminal background checks. Under that law, most negative reports about a consumer must be dropped from the report after seven years. There are two notable exceptions to this: records of bankruptcy can stay up to 10 years and records of criminal convictions can stay on there forever. You weren't convicted of the thefts, so the seven year rule should apply and the record of it should no longer be there. Apply for retail jobs if you want them and see what they say. If they reject you because of the consumer report the employer is required under the FCRA to tell you that and give you the information about which report was relied upon so you may obtain a copy of it and verify it for accuracy. You could then challenge the entry as being past the seven years.

Do you have the name of the actual company that you’re curious about? There are several retail theft databases. I see you’ve attempted to get info from HireRight but is that the company that was involved previously?

Thank you for the idea, Taxing Matters. I knew about challenging credit reports, but didn't consider doing it here.

Sorry flyingron, I was mostly wondering if those "in the know" maybe knew something I didn't, like if requesting a report HireRight was any good or just a waste of time.

I do not know, jk. As a college kid at home with the folks, I was anxious to destroy that paper as soon as I could before they found it.

Nothing to lose by asking for a copy of your report. HireRight is the successor to the the NRTD formerly administered by the NRMA.
    Of course, individual chains may have their own records and those are never obligated to be purged.

1. Sponsored Links