Default In Trouble for Calling 911

Indiana

I work overnight security, monitoring donation locations via camera to deter theft. If I see someone stealing, per the company's rules, I'm only allowed to ask the offenders (over loud speaker) to leave & then write a report. I am NOT allowed to call 911 because we're charged for each run, even if the person fills their vehicle with company property. This morning, I made a judgment call though & called 911 for several individuals stealing not only donations, but other company property from a location. An altercation also broke out between 2 of the 4 individuals, which is another reason I called - had one of them gotten hurt on the property, we could still be sued and non-profits don't have a lot of money right now.

However, so I wouldn't get in trouble with the company, I called from my personal cell phone & I stated to the 911 operator that I was a passerby in the area, and was witness to what was happening. I gave them the address, my name and hung up. I watched on camera as PD arrived & confronted the group. I did call out over the speaker to the officer, letting her know which vehicles had property in them. All property was surrendered, no arrests were made and they all left.

I received a call at 7 am this morning from the dispatch office (incident was at 4:50 am), asking me for more info. I wasn't sure what it was about at first, because I was in a dead sleep, and I hung up. I called back after waking up some more, and spoke with the same operator; she stated she called back because the officers needed more info, asking if I worked for the company, etc. I explained what I saw and why I called it in like I did and she joked they "get that all the time" and thanked me for the info.

I worried about this ALL DAY and called back at 3 p.m. and spoke with a shift supervisor who stated the Sargent needed more info but "it was now closed"

So, am I going to jail now for providing false info? Nothing I said was a lie, except my location. Everything else was true about what I saw and is on videotape. My sister says I could be in a lot of trouble with police, so I'm freaking out.

Default Re: In Trouble for Calling 911

I seriously doubt that you're going to jail for this. But one or both of the following might happen.

1 - If the perps ever go to trial and you get called as a witness, your testimony can be impeached by a smart defense attorney because you lied.

2 - Your employer is likely to find out and you might lose your job because you disobeyed standing procedure.

Since your employer says never call 911, it's apparent that the boss is not concerned with theft of, or damage to, property and you shouldn't be concerned either.

If this blows over without incident, never call 911. It's not your problem.

PS: Do you have that company policy in writing? Hope so.

Default Re: In Trouble for Calling 911

Nope, it's not in writing; just a verbal order to never call

1. Sponsored Links