Default A Perfect Car is Being Labled As Salvage by the Insurance Company

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: California

I live in San Francisco, California atm. Last month I got in accident and my car was hit from the side by the other party.

The party never claimed the blame, however after a nearly month or so, the insurance called and accept the responsibility and decided to fix my car.

After a week, I got another call and the insurance is claiming my car as salvage and other than cosmatic damage the car runs as new as we had the engine and transmission rebuild (they were working fine, but a friend who's certified MB mechanic said he'll do it so we went with it)

I currently live out of my car. If it gets salvaged title, I'll have to put lot of money to get it registered and on top of that I'll have to registered as salvage vehicle and my insurance will go up if I can get it.

Now, I can't just up and buy another car (I'm not that rich, or else I won't be living out of my car)

I'm debating on suing the insurance company or the party responsible for it.
    Or is there better options for me?

Thank you,
    B

Default Re: A Perfect Car is Being Labled As Salvage

What was the (approximate) market value of the car at the time of the accident? What is the estimate of the cost of repairs?

The insurance did evaluation and came up with $6,828.50 for the car's value.
    The repairs are estimated at $6,169.05

Quote Quoting scbjmshpv
    View Post
    The insurance did evaluation and came up with $6,828.50 for the car's value.
    The repairs are estimated at $6,169.05
    Then it's a total loss and the insurance company is allowed by statute and case law to do exactly what it's doing so there is nothing to sue for. In other words, if you sue, you waste time and money and you lose.

Take the money, turn the car over to the insurance company, and buy another car.

As a practical matter, any other course of action is lose, lose, lose.

Ok, thank you for the clear up. I'll go with your advice and hopefully can get another car this weekend.

I would buy another car--seems like way to many issues.
    Thanks juliano fernandes

Actually, the condition has little to do with it. Once the insurer pays it off as a total loss, the thing will be marked as salvaged.

1. Sponsored Links