Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default What Is The Law For A 17-Year-Old Who Refuses To Move With Parents

    I need help if anyone has any answers. I live in CA and my husband and I are planning to relocate to another city approx. 30 minutes away. My 17 1/2 year old daughter refuses to go. She wants to stay here to finish High School. I do not have a problem allowing her do do this. I do however need to know what the law is with regard to our situation. Such as, what happens if she does something illegal, gets into trouble, etc. Are we going to be held responsible for her actions until she is 18? I do not wish to sign over guardianship or have her emancipated. I just want her to be able to live here with a friend, be safe, finish school, and not have to worry that my husband and I could lose all we have if something goes wrong? Please help...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Southeastern Michigan

    Default Re: What Is The Law For A 17-Year-Old Who Refuses To Move With Parents

    Without obtaining an emancipation declaration, you are legally responsible for her until she's 18.

    There are 3 ways to get emancipated:

    Get married. You need permission from your parents and the court.
    Join the armed forces. You need permission from your parents, and the armed forces must accept you.
    Get a declaration of emancipation from a judge. To get a declaration of emancipation, you have to prove ALL of these things:

    You are at least 14 years old.
    You don't want to live with your parents. Your parents don't mind if you move out.
    You can handle your own money.
    You have a legal way to make money.
    Emancipation would be good for you.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Re: What Is The Law For A 17-Year-Old Who Refuses To Move With Parents

    Make sure she has a safe, appropriate place to stay. Give the people she's staying with sufficient authority via a power of attorney to attend to her needs, such as authorizing emergency medical care. Check with the school - they may require a grant of guardianship if you don't want to pay tuition.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Ex Refuses My Parents to Be Present During Visitation
    By jmborr in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-13-2010, 08:53 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-29-2009, 08:41 AM
  3. Grandparents and Third Parties: 16 Year Old Daughter Refuses to Move to Another State
    By SadGramma in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2009, 05:20 AM
  4. Emancipation: Seventeen-Year-Old Wanting To Move Out Her Parents House
    By Neva88 in forum Juvenile Law
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-20-2007, 06:44 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-17-2007, 03:04 AM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources

Forum Sponsor
Legal Forms - Buy easy-to-use legal forms.