Default Help Reducing Child Support and Arrears

I'm a dad in CA just trying to make it. My ex and I have been divorced for 15 years and we have a 19 and 17 year old together. I have religiously paid for child support, for more than 10 years. In the begining I had a bought of bad luck and gave cash to her whenever I had it. Because she worked in a lawyers office she knows the ins and out of support, she tacked on arrers to me because she knew the cash could not be tracked. To make a long story short my arrears of course are astronomical and adding up daily. My ex has been remarried for several years now and has another child with this man who doesn't do anything. She seems to be constantly after me for money. I was employed for several years making $70K a year and lost my job and fell on hard times, I would send money to the support agency but to her it wasn't enough. She had my license suspended with no notice and I was no longer able to do my work. I had to pay a couple thousand to get it reinstated and just recently go a new job but only making 1/2 of my $70K a y ear. She has garnished my wages to where I am paying $500 in a arrears and $200 in childsupport. I cannot afford this plus my living expenses on the salary I am making. I have always been there for my kids, but their mother is not reasonable. I was told to fill out the paperwork to get the amount lowered, but I won't get a court date for 3 months. Is there anything I can do in the meantime. I need to lower my payments plus get the arrears drastically reduced. Looking for quick advice.

Default Re: Need help reducing child support and arrears

Quote Quoting NSAone
    View Post
    I'm a dad in CA just trying to make it. My ex and I have been divorced for 15 years and we have a 19 and 17 year old together. I have religiously paid for child support, for more than 10 years. In the begining I had a bought of bad luck and gave cash to her whenever I had it. Because she worked in a lawyers office she knows the ins and out of support, she tacked on arrers to me because she knew the cash could not be tracked. To make a long story short my arrears of course are astronomical and adding up daily. My ex has been remarried for several years now and has another child with this man who doesn't do anything. She seems to be constantly after me for money. I was employed for several years making $70K a year and lost my job and fell on hard times, I would send money to the support agency but to her it wasn't enough. She had my license suspended with no notice and I was no longer able to do my work. I had to pay a couple thousand to get it reinstated and just recently go a new job but only making 1/2 of my $70K a y ear. She has garnished my wages to where I am paying $500 in a arrears and $200 in childsupport. I cannot afford this plus my living expenses on the salary I am making. I have always been there for my kids, but their mother is not reasonable. I was told to fill out the paperwork to get the amount lowered, but I won't get a court date for 3 months. Is there anything I can do in the meantime. I need to lower my payments plus get the arrears drastically reduced. Looking for quick advice.
    It will help us give you accurate advice if you will please type what your court order states, word for word. Including any statements as to how the CS is to be paid (ie- through the court, thru the state CSE, or directly to ex).

Quote Quoting NSAone
    View Post
    I'm a dad in CA just trying to make it. My ex and I have been divorced for 15 years and we have a 19 and 17 year old together. I have religiously paid for child support, for more than 10 years. In the begining I had a bought of bad luck and gave cash to her whenever I had it. Because she worked in a lawyers office she knows the ins and out of support, she tacked on arrers to me because she knew the cash could not be tracked.
    She is unable to tack on anything to your support order. Sounds like she turned the order to CSE and they did it.

She had my license suspended with no notice
    She is unable to call the DMV and ask to have "John's" license suspended because of unpaid child support. Again, she must have turned her order to CSE and they will, at 30 days delinquent suspend your license. The DMV never suspends license's without notice, so you may want to call them and verify your address with them, and ask them what kind of service and when was the service done pertaining to your license suspension

She has garnished my wages to where I am paying $500 in a arrears and $200 in childsupport.
    While she herself can send a wage assignment to your employer, the courts had a hand in determining the amount. She didn't do this alone, but since all the rest of this is going on....my guess is CSE again, had a hand in this.

I cannot afford this plus my living expenses on the salary I am making. I have always been there for my kids, but their mother is not reasonable. I was told to fill out the paperwork to get the amount lowered, but I won't get a court date for 3 months. Is there anything I can do in the meantime. I need to lower my payments plus get the arrears drastically reduced. Looking for quick advice.
    The courts are ridiculously backed up, so the only thing you can do is wait it out until you can go to court, unless you can get CSE to help you out a bit. Make sure you take an updated income and expense declaration with you. They'll want to see it as well as paystubs and tax returns. Good luck

Thank you for all the feedback. I'm sorry I was moving and just got up and running internet service. It's actually gotten worse, I'm not paying approximately $550 for childsupport and about $560 in arrears. Not sure if I stated, the mother is remarried and has another child but the father hardly works and that's why she is pressing me for additional money. Instead of her telling me what's going on it's a major blow to me when I receive my paycheck. Is there any mediation I can go to to get the arrers excused or lowered and also the child support lowered? I'm not in any way trying to get out of paying for my daughter, I just can't have this much money coming out of my paycheck when I hardly have one to begin with. When I'm up and running with a higher paying job, I always make sure to get it adjusted accordingly.

The payments are paid through CSD.

If you qualify for a modification of suppor, petition the court for modification. You should not expect that the modification will be retroactive - that is, if modification is granted, it will take effect from the date of your petition.

1. Sponsored Links