Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is It Possible to Reverse Deceased Father's Benefits to Disabled Son

My 53 year old brother is permanently disabled due to birth defects. He had been drawing SS benefits as well as SSI and Medicaid. My father passed way several months ago and SS began paying my brother my father's SS benefits. When this happened it raised my brother's level of income to the point that SS terminated his SSI. When his SSI was terminated this also terminated his eligibility for Medicaid. There is no way that his increase in SS benefits will cover his medical costs as well as his daytime aides.

He is currently his own payee. Can he go to the SS office and request that they stop paying him our father's benefits so that he can once again rate SSI and become eligible for Medicaid?

Default Re: Is It Possible to Reverse Deceased Father's Benefits to Disabled Son

Quote Quoting digger54
    View Post
    My 53 year old brother is permanently disabled due to birth defects. He had been drawing SS benefits as well as SSI and Medicaid. My father passed way several months ago and SS began paying my brother my father's SS benefits. When this happened it raised my brother's level of income to the point that SS terminated his SSI. When his SSI was terminated this also terminated his eligibility for Medicaid. There is no way that his increase in SS benefits will cover his medical costs as well as his daytime aides.

He is currently his own payee. Can he go to the SS office and request that they stop paying him our father's benefits so that he can once again rate SSI and become eligible for Medicaid?
    What state is he located in?

Default Re: Is It Possible to Reverse Deceased Father's Benefits to Disabled Son

Florida

Quote Quoting digger54
    View Post
    Florida
    You should research low income health insurance for adults in Florida. There should be some plans available.

We are trying to get an application through Florida Dept Child Services for Medicaid but the paperwork drill has proven to be a very frustrating process. I understand their need to validate income but they data call the application until it times out. We are now on a second attempt and already dealing with the "We need this..." data calls again.

The daytime aides my brother has supporting him are Medicaid supported. Doubt there would be any low income Ins programs that would pay that.

It would be much simpler if my brother would once again be eligible for SSI in order to draw Medicaid. This could be accomplished by him not being paid my father's SS benefits, ergo my original question.

Quote Quoting digger54
    View Post
    We are trying to get an application through Florida Dept Child Services for Medicaid but the paperwork drill has proven to be a very frustrating process. I understand their need to validate income but they data call the application until it times out. We are now on a second attempt and already dealing with the "We need this..." data calls again.

The daytime aides my brother has supporting him are Medicaid supported. Doubt there would be any low income Ins programs that would pay that.

It would be much simpler if my brother would once again be eligible for SSI in order to draw Medicaid. This could be accomplished by him not being paid my father's SS benefits, ergo my original question.
    Unfortunately I do not believe that you will be able to pull that off. He has a source of income (your father's SS benefits) available to him that make him ineligible for SSI.

Thanks.

But the best way to confirm is to have him contact SS.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    But the best way to confirm is to have him contact SS.

Agree. Usually the way these programs work in the southeastern states is that a person cannot voluntarily eliminate any other possible source of support and then receive aid from any of the "needs based" programs. It would be in the same as deciding not to receive unemployment benefits, and then applying for some form of low income assistance. They'll pop you back over to the unemployment system for a decision quickly.

Most of these programs have some sort of stipulation that you've been evaluated for eligibility for all other possible sources of income and there aren't any before they'll certify you for anything much.

While applying for the state system is really a chore, and they are designed to be complicated and user unfriendly, it can be done. And I know that at the present time in the southeastern states things are set up to discourage all but the most needful and desperate, do keep at it until you get what you need from them. This will work much better and will guarantee a little more income for your brother's care. You can check with SS, but I suspect they will tell you the same thing. And the people you REALLY need to check with are the ones certifying him for the state Medicaid program. You'd definitely need to know this would be allowed (and he'd be allowed to get back on Medicaid) before you go on through Social Security and try to stop the new benefits.

Was Medicaid paying his Medicare Premiums, co/pays and deductibles ? There are income and resource limits for Medicare Savings Program and Extra Help. If his monthly benefits exceeds the allowed income amount. There is nothing he can do.

If his income is,$791 or more a,month in 2019. There is no way he will qualify for SSI. It is against federal law for SSA to award him SSI. If he,refuses the benefits off of his father's record.

Depending on his disabilities. There may or may not be a local organization that can help with his personal care services. Contact a local organization that deals with the disabilities he has.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast