Hybrid View

Default What Can You Do if Your Mail is Not Being Delivered

I've been repeatedly having problems with getting my mail delivered. In the past year and a half or so, it's happened 3 times. I'll go 2 or 3 weeks straight without getting a single piece of mail--including regular sale flyers that are sent out on Saturdays. I've called the post office about it and was always told to call the postal carrier annex. When I do that, I ask if my mail is either being forwarded or withheld, and the answer is always "no". They say they'll look into it. Then within a day or two, I start getting mail again. But then 3 or 4 months later, the problem returns and I have to call the postal annex again to get the same answers. This has happened no matter who the mail carrier is who does the route, so I'm not sure it's any particular mail carrier who is not delivering my mail. I still see the mailman delivering mail to all my neighbors, but he still skips my house for weeks at a time.

During the last time this happened, I was advised to sign up for a service called Informed Delivery, so I have that now. Not everything I was receiving was being shown. Sales flyers weren't, as were other "junk mail". Now, even items that are being shown by Informed Delivery aren't being delivered to my mailbox. This time, I wrote a complaint through the Postal Service's website instead of calling the postal annex. My complaint was answered by email by the postal annex anyway. They claimed that I didn't include my address when I wrote to them, even though it was part of the information I had to provide when I filled out their mandatory form. So I responded by giving them my address. They didn't reply. I waited a couple days and sent them my address again, and have still received no reply. It looks like they recognized my address from when I've called them before and they don't want to deal with me again. That's' the way it looks to me anyway. Their website claims they respond to complaints within 1 day, but I seem to be the exception in this case.

I've been advised to write to the postmaster about this, but I couldn't find any contact information for them. I was hoping my email sent through the USPS site would go to the postmaster, but instead it went to the postal annex.

So, who is in charge of handling problems with the post office? I've been told it's a federal crime to steal mail, if that's what's happening. But USPS isn't a federal agency since their website is usps.com instead of usps.gov. Who will help me? Is it an attorney, or the police, or someone else?

Default Re: Mail Service Problem (As in Not Getting Any)

You need to contact the local Postmaster, not the guy in (I assume) Washington DC.

Call your areas main post office and ask for an address to send a letter to the postmaster.

In the letter give your story (make sure you mention not getting the stuff that showed on informed delivery), your address and your phone number.

Or you could call and ask to speak with the postmaster.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    You need to contact the local Postmaster, not the guy in (I assume) Washington DC.

Call your areas main post office and ask for an address to send a letter to the postmaster.

In the letter give your story (make sure you mention not getting the stuff that showed on informed delivery), your address and your phone number.

Or you could call and ask to speak with the postmaster.
    Calling or contacting your congressperson or senator might get some action as well.

Your question appears to involve a customer service, not a legal, issue.

Quote Quoting Novicelegal
    View Post
    So, who is in charge of handling problems with the post office? I've been told it's a federal crime to steal mail, if that's what's happening. But USPS isn't a federal agency since their website is usps.com instead of usps.gov. Who will help me? Is it an attorney, or the police, or someone else?
    Despite the fact that USPS uses a .com domain for its web site (to help compete against Fedex and UPS) it is a federal government agency. The postmaster of your post office is ultimately the person responsible for ensuring that the mail that reaches that post office is delivered to you. I'd start by writing that postmaster to address your concerns. If mail is being stolen, then that is the responsibility of the Postal Inspection Service. The head of the entire postal system is the Postmaster General in Washington DC. You may also write her office. And, since it is a federal agency, you might get some traction by contacting your Congress House or Senate member staff.

What you can't do is sue the USPS for delivery problems. By federal law, the USPS is immune from suit for any claims of negligence in handling or delivery of the mail itself.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    Despite the fact that USPS uses a .com domain for its web site (to help compete against Fedex and UPS) it is a federal government agency. The postmaster of your post office is ultimately the person responsible for ensuring that the mail that reaches that post office is delivered to you. I'd start by writing that postmaster to address your concerns. If mail is being stolen, then that is the responsibility of the Postal Inspection Service. The head of the entire postal system is the Postmaster General in Washington DC. You may also write her office. And, since it is a federal agency, you might get some traction by contacting your Congress House or Senate member staff.

What you can't do is sue the USPS for delivery problems. By federal law, the USPS is immune from suit for any claims of negligence in handling or delivery of the mail itself.
    Thank you for the link to the Postal Inspection service, but when I clicked on it and clicked on the additional things to file a report, it brought me right back to the USPS site that I filed my report on before. I've now written back to their initial response 3 times for a request for my address (which I already gave them when I made the report) and am still being ignored by them. My report seems to have gone straight to the Postal Carrier Annex office that I dealt with on the phone in the past, and they no longer seem to want to even communicate with me. I feel like I have to now go over their head to a higher authority than them, but my reports only go to them. When I call the post office, they tell me to call the postal carrier annex, which puts me right back to square one.
    The Postmaster General link shows the person who is PG, but no email, phone number or address to contact her.

There is a difference in the Postmaster General and the local Postmaster.

Trying to contact the Postmaster General is sort of like trying to contact the Attorney General of the United States because someone stole your lunch money. As I wrote before.

Or you could call (the local office) and ask to speak with the postmaster.

I guess I will have to call them for that information. Using Google to find out who my post office's postmaster is doesn't give me any results. It's as if they're trying to keep it a secret.

All you have to do is walk in your local main post office and ask for him. Or pick up the phone and call the same and ask them who he is.

Local Post Offices do not have websites. At least none that I know of.

1. Sponsored Links