Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Do You Have the Right to Access Your Spouse's Credit Records

My question involves marriage law for the State of: Texas

I would like to know if a husband has a legal right to the wife's credit records? Can I go to one of the web sites and pull off my wife's credit card information?

Secondly, wife has a step child age 25 who is married but still living with us. Child was accepted to graduate school at an expensive east cost school. Child was expecting financial aid, but did not get any. Is wife legally able to co-sign a student loan without my knowledge or my permission?

Default Re: Wife's Credit History

No, you do not have a legal right to those records. Any attempt to access her records using her information would be at best unethical and at worst illegal.

Yes, she can co-sign whatever she dang well pleases without consulting you.

Perhaps have an adult conversation with her about these issues as opposed to sneaking around behind her back? If she's not willing to discuss them, which may be for many reasons given the attitude you've displayed here, then you might want to re-evaluate your marital status.

I do not consider my attitude to be bad. I have tolerated over-spending on my wife's part for years. I have talked with her. I have offered to go to counseling. She is too stubborn to change or even discuss it. Unfortunately, she has major medical issues and I would feel very bad about leaving her under those circumstances, so I am stuck in this situation. So there are no legal options to stifle her spending? Perhaps she feels she only has a few years left(multiple cancers), and wants to grab the most she can (2 vacations already this year) for herself/stepchild in the few remaining years.

Quote Quoting donaldj
    View Post
    So there are no legal options to stifle her spending?
    If she is spending her money, not really. The only possible option would be to try to have her declared incompetent but that's a big hurdle to clear. If she is spending money you earned and put into an account she has access to, you could stop putting it into that account.

Quote Quoting donaldj
    View Post
    Perhaps she feels she only has a few years left(multiple cancers), and wants to grab the most she can (2 vacations already this year) for herself/stepchild in the few remaining years.
    If she feels her time is almost up, yes it's possible she wants to experience as much as she can before she goes. I wouldn't blame her. Have you considered joining her in these experiences when you can?

Well, all my paycheck goes to pay our bills. All her paycheck goes to her fun. But I feel her credit card balances may be getting out of control. They did not invite me to join them on either vacation.

Your issues are all personal marital issues.

>Any attempt to access her records using her information would be at best unethical and at worst illegal.
    I don't see it as unethical. Anyone else care to comment on whether legal or not?

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    If she is spending her money, not really.
    I wouldn't think mine and her paycheck would be considered mine and hers. I would think everything to be joint income when married. Yes, if it was her savings before marriage, then that would be correct.

Again, this isn't (yet) a legal issue. Some people understand a true marriage (what's mine is yours). Some people maintain separate finances thorughout. Until there is a legal action (typically divorce), how the state views marital or community and separate property isn't involved. Even when it is, when something is in one parties name it takes the permission of that party or a court order to get the information.

Quote Quoting donaldj
    View Post
    >Any attempt to access her records using her information would be at best unethical and at worst illegal.
    I don't see it as unethical. Anyone else care to comment on whether legal or not?
    If your name isn't on the account you would have to commit fraud to obtain the information.

I wouldn't think mine and her paycheck would be considered mine and hers. I would think everything to be joint income when married. Yes, if it was her savings before marriage, then that would be correct.
    That's not what you implied previously.

Well, all my paycheck goes to pay our bills. All her paycheck goes to her fun.

I don't think it would be fraud. It might be invasion/intrusion of privacy. However, what I'm reading does not even imply that.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast