Default Should Documents with a Decedent's Social Security Number Be Shredded

My question involves estate proceedings in the state of: New York

I was going through a collection of my grandmother's papers. I know some can be discarded to recycling without destroying like old utility bills and store purchase receipts. However, I have quiet a few documents with her's or my step-grandfather's SSN on them. Even though they have been dead for decades and the estates settled, should these papers still be shredded?

Default Re: Should Documents with a Decedent's Ssn Be Shredded

Legally, there's no requirement that you shred anything.
    Shredding doesn't preclude recycling.
    If you want to, you can just blot the SSN with a magic marker, though you're estimation that the SSN of a dead man with a closed estate is probably not very risky.

Your post doesn't raise any legal issue, but I'll give you an anecdotal response.

About a decade ago, three immediate family members died within a span of about 21 months. I was in charge of their estates and trusts. After reporting the deaths to the Social Security Administration and shredding documents in each person's possession at the time of death, I continued to shred things until the estates and trusts had closed. After that, I figured that I didn't care anymore. I still receive the occasional credit card solicitation and just toss them in the trash. If someone wants to steal my dead monther's/sister's identity, it's really not my problem.

Quote Quoting debodun
    View Post
    Even though they have been dead for decades and the estates settled, should these papers still be shredded?
    Some time after a person's death is reported to SSA the agency adds it to its publicly available death index, which a number of sites make available online. When they've been deceased for decades it is no longer needed to shred the SSN since that information is already publicly available anyway.

Your SSN becomes public information just a few months after your death. No need to hide it.

1. Sponsored Links