Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How to Report an Online Security Breach

My question involves business law in the state of: Texas or Oregon

NOTES: i am not and have not accessed the company's databases, hacked into their systems or otherwise illegally accessed this information.

So i am able to see other users personal data on a website. Given my education and copious experience as a software engineer, I know the reason i can see this data. The reason is because the company's developers suck. They left the data right out there in the open for anyone to see it. How do i go about informing the company and getting paid for saving them millions of dollars?

https://www.vox.com/2016/2/9/1158769...event-a-breach

Default Re: Security Breach

Quote Quoting kjohnson1
    View Post
    How do i go about informing the company
    "Hey, boss, there's a glitch in the software."

Quote Quoting kjohnson1
    View Post
    getting paid
    Ha Ha Ha Ha. That's funny, right there.

i know right? everyone can get paid but me. that actually used to be my job. but my fellow americans decided they wanted indians to feed their families instead. so my college degree (paid for with an academic scholarship) and 15 years experience is for not. however those indians really suck at doing my job..and i find the proof everywhere.

Well, you could call them up, make it very clear it isn't a threat to attack their system and offer to provide your consulting services.

Quote Quoting kjohnson1
    View Post
    i know right? everyone can get paid but me. that actually used to be my job. but my fellow americans decided they wanted indians to feed their families instead. so my college degree (paid for with an academic scholarship) and 15 years experience is for not. however those indians really suck at doing my job..and i find the proof everywhere.
    You’re getting paid to work there, right? If you report the issue while on company time, you’ll be getting paid to report the issue.

Oh, you want some finders fee sort of bonus. Sorry but unless the company wants to reward you for the discovery, it isn’t happening.

Of course if they realize you were aware of the issue and didn’t report it they can fire you for failing to report it, right?

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    You’re getting paid to work there, right? If you report the issue while on company time, you’ll be getting paid to report the issue.

Oh, you want some finders fee sort of bonus. Sorry but unless the company wants to reward you for the discovery, it isn’t happening.

Of course if they realize you were aware of the issue and didn’t report it they can fire you for failing to report it, right?
    I don't think OP works for the company. I "think" s/he just "happened upon" the security issue for this company...note the "I didn't do it" disclaimer at the beginning of the opening post.

Quote Quoting just blue
    View Post
    I don't think OP works for the company. I "think" s/he just "happened upon" the security issue for this company...note the "I didn't do it" disclaimer at the beginning of the opening post.
    Well then, it becomes quite simple:

send a letter stating you have discovered poor workmanship by the software engineers. Be cautious not to be so informative they can just go and find it for themselves and effect a repair.

if they would like to be shown the issue and maybe even want a fix they should deposit 12 gazillion dollars into ops bank account. After it is received op can show them the issue and if agreed upon, provide the fix.

Of course if the company doesn’t want to pay op for the info, he just accepts that and drops it.

I've tried that with other companies. It never works. I end up communicating with someone in India. The Indians are not going to freely admit they made a mistake. They will however fix the issue and fail to tell any management back here in the US. I thought I would ask here as there may be an individual who may have more experience and may want to get paid to help me get paid.

You don't do this by phone. Send a letter to a US address.

Quote Quoting kjohnson1
    View Post
    I've tried that with other companies. It never works. I end up communicating with someone in India. The Indians are not going to freely admit they made a mistake. They will however fix the issue and fail to tell any management back here in the US. I thought I would ask here as there may be an individual who may have more experience and may want to get paid to help me get paid.
    You misunderstand the purpose of these forums. And really...You want a total internet stranger with, at very best, questionable qualifications, to help you with this? That's just silly.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast