Default How to Help a Relative With Brain Damage from a Car Accident

My brother was recently in a bad car wreck and has brain damage. My mother has been over all of his medical care until today when a social worker came in and said it had been transferred to his step mother's care bc he was living with her at the time. Her husband which isn't even his biological father is deceased now, but therefore she is no relation at all. My brother isn't able to make decisions because he can't speak or move and just stares into space for now...She doesn't care about his best interest she just sees him as a check coming. I'm really worried and my mom is devestated how can this happen and how can my mother fix it? Thank you

Default Re: My Brother Was in a Bad Car Wreck and Has Brain Damage

Quote Quoting paulasouto
    View Post
    My brother was recently in a bad car wreck and has brain damage. My mother has been over all of his medical care until today when a social worker came in and said it had been transferred to his step mother's care bc he was living with her at the time. Her husband which isn't even his biological father is deceased now, but therefore she is no relation at all. My brother isn't able to make decisions because he can't speak or move and just stares into space for now...She doesn't care about his best interest she just sees him as a check coming. I'm really worried and my mom is devestated how can this happen and how can my mother fix it? Thank you
    What state is this in?
    What type of social worker was this? How old is your brother? What type of check does your brother get?

Default Re: How to Help a Relative With Brain Damage from a Car Accident

Your mother can explore the possibility of guardianship, getting legal authority to make decisions on behalf of your brother, the specifics of which will depend upon the state in which this is occurring. If she secures guardianship, that will end any informal authority arranged by the social worker .

1. Sponsored Links