Default Can Someone Apply for Citizenship with Expired Green Card

Hello friends,

My niece's green card expired last month in April. She is NOT under conditional permanent residence because she was admitted in this country as refugee.

Meantime, I was thinking that she should apply for citizenship instead of renewing her green card...and she really wants to become a US citizen and be proud!

My question:
    Is she required to renew her green card before she file for citizenship application?

Please advise...

Default Re: Can Someone Apply for Citizenship with Expired Green Card

OK, your explanation has holes in it. If she has a refugee conditional permanent residence, there is NO WAY she has yet accumulated the presence time to apply for naturalization.
    The last thing you want to do is NOT convert the conditional to at least a regular permanent residence. That would result in the end of her residence and chances for eventual citizenship (or even remaining in the US).

If she had a regular permanent residence and the card itself was just expiring, she could forgo renewing it. The CARD is not a requirement for citizenship. It's still not a good idea, however. If she should need to leave the US for any reason, she'd find it very difficult to reenter. Further, there are all sorts of run ins with officials even domestically, that an expired green card is going to cause issues with.

My niece had 10 years green card which expired last month. She entered the United States 12 years ago. I hope this gives more clarity on what type of green card she has

Then she should be able to apply for citizenship.

It's not a conditional residence card then. As long as she was physically present for the appropriate amount of time, then she is eligible for naturalization.
    As I stated, while an unexpired green card isn't an absolute requirement, it would behoove her to renew it now while she works on her citizenship.

Thank you so much for your helpful information!

1. Sponsored Links