Default How Far Back do Background Checks Go

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Washington

A couple questions on background checks. I’m starting to look for a job and looking for clarity on a couple of things.

How far back do they go?

Do they show military discharge info?

I talked to a salesperson at “Goodhire.” They do background checks for business and individuals. They said Washington state can only look back 7 years. Period. They also said that Military discharge did not show up on background checks. Period. They said getting Military status on background check took some very special stuff and she knew of no companies that would do that.

I’m currently 55 years old. I had a shoplifting charge at 18. A drunk and disorderly at 24. I had an Other than honorable discharge from the Navy at 26 years old. My understanding and impression is that is an “administrative” type of discharge. There is nothing criminal associated with it so it won’t show up on checks.

I’ve been a productive member of society for 30 years now with no trouble. 😊

Based on what I’ve read and my discussion with the company that does background checks, I have nothing to worry about.

Any thoughts feedback or clarification on this is appreciated.

I think I’m just going to pay to have their standard background check done out of curiosity.

Thanks!

Default Re: Background Checks

There is no way any of the three items you mentioned will show up on your background check unless you are trying to get a security clearance.

Quote Quoting PayrolGuy
    View Post
    There is no way any of the three items you mentioned will show up on your background check unless you are trying to get a security clearance.
    Thanks. That's the feel I was starting to get.

It also use to be that they asked on applications if you were in the military and what type of discharge you got. It seems these day they don't ask that either. All I've been asked online so far is "Whether or not you are a protected vet."

The discharge was my biggest concern. It's never come up before in my life to haunt me. Just started worrying about it a little when starting the job search.

Thanks for the quick response.

Thanks for the thanks and good luck in your job search.

Quote Quoting Racer33
    View Post
    A couple questions on background checks. . . .

How far back do they go?

Do they show military discharge info?
    I'm always amazed at how many people seem not to understand the following: A "background check" is nothing more than a report regarding someone or something. It can be as detailed or as sparse as the persons requesting the report and conducting the underlying investigation want to be.

That being the case, the answer to your first question is that it goes back as far back as the person requesting it wants to go, and the answer to the second question is maybe.

Quote Quoting Racer33
    View Post
    I talked to a salesperson at “Goodhire.” They do background checks for business and individuals. They said Washington state can only look back 7 years. Period. They also said that Military discharge did not show up on background checks. Period.
    Putting aside whether this person has the necessary expertise on the subject, I assume that he or she was speaking to two things: (1) the practices of the company by whom he/she is employed; and (2) what is allowable under Washington law in a particular context. These are different things that what your initial questions asked about.

Quote Quoting Racer33
    View Post
    I’m currently 55 years old. I had a shoplifting charge at 18. A drunk and disorderly at 24. I had an Other than honorable discharge from the Navy at 26 years old.
    Even if any of these things were to show up on a "background check" relating to your efforts to obtain employment with a non-governmental employer, I can't conceive that anyone would give a rip about things that occurred 29-37 years ago (although someone might conceivably ask about the reason for the "other than honorable discharge"). By way of an anecdotal reference, when I was 17, I pleaded guilty to two misdemeanors after being charged with a felony. When I sought admission to the State Bar at the age of 33, I disclosed this (even though I probably didn't need to since it was a juvenile matter), and it didn't raise an eyebrow. IMO, your stuff is even more trivial.

Quote Quoting Racer33
    View Post
    I have nothing to worry about.
    I think that's almost certainly true.

My opinion is there is no way any about this. you are background check unless. You are trying to get a security clearance.

Quote Quoting SureshGupta 453
    View Post
    My opinion is there is no way any about this. you are background check unless. You are trying to get a security clearance.
    That has already been posted by PayrollGuy. Are you going to make a habit of regurgitating (poorly) other members advice?

1. Sponsored Links