Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can a Police Officer Get a Traffic Ticket in Court

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: california

lets say my ticket is dismissed in court, and it's discovered that the officer did a big clear violation and his dash cam proves it, and he wrote errors all over the ticket and wrong vehicle code, and even if he wrote the correct vehicle code i was still innocent, etc. another words my ticket dismissed, and i was wondering if it's even possible that he can get a counter ticket in court.

i know he might be able to pay my court costs, but what i don't know, is if he can get a counter ticket in court from his own dash cam.

Default Re: Can Officer Get a Ticket in Court

Calvine, any action to be taken, if any, would not come at that court date, but later

First, where do you come up with the idea that "he [the officer] might be able to pay my court costs"? In California, a plaintiff would only be required to pay the defendants costs in a civil matter and traffic infractions in California are considered criminal matters. Also, there is no such process as a "counter ticket" in California Courts.
    I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.

He won't be paying your court costs, much less getting a "counter-ticket", no matter what.

Even if he did break a law, and was tried and convicted for it, it would mean NOTHING to your case. It's not the cop v. you, it's the people of the state versus you. As your mommy should have told you, two wrongs do not make a right.

i know he might be able to pay my court costs, but what i don't know, is if he can get a counter ticket in court from his own dash cam.

Neither of these things is going to happen. You're not going to get your big justification moment when li'l innocent you gets to watch the bad nasty cop get punished for persecuting you.

Default Can Officer Get a Traffic Ticket in Court

now lets talk about court costs. he created the court date to begin with based off of his error, and mistakes on the ticket and understanding the law. whether i win or lose, i'd be the loser if i pay full court costs FROM HIS MISTAKE. he gets 0 punishment for making error doing his job, and i pay big fees just to get it corrected. that's NOT fair. i know court cases where the other party who does pay for the greivances and extra costs of the other side. why wouldn't that apply here?

Your understanding of the law is wrong. Mistakes on the ticket or even your determined innocence do not entitle you to receive your legal fees or other damages for the prosecution.

Even if this were a civil action, we don't have loser pays in the US.

help me understand the law, you said, you can't get money back. but you failed to list why.

i'm asking why. give your reasons why, or why not. should u get back the 1000 dollars(rental car, drive, hotel, missed work, lawyer) from dismissed ticket that the judge deemed was the cops error? you didn't list any good reasons why not.

it's like this: if the cop can issue bogus tickets all the time, and has no repurcussions, then he'll keep doing it to more people. you see. making him pay for his errors back what i should of never had to pay in the first place, this helps encourage the cops to you know actually give tickets to people breaking laws, etc, instead of fudge tickets and not caring. he won't care if there is no repurcussions.

i just want to hear your reasons why NOT. if that's how you feel. you cited LAW but you didn't show me any law, i'd like to see that law you are talking about. i've seen first hand examples of situations like this where one side's actions caused another side to lose money, and that other side payed for it. both in big court, and small claims, etc.

maybe it's like this: instead of that cop pays, the county pays, i don't know exactly how it works. that's why i'm here, maybe you guys can help show me stuff, saying something like 'he won't pay, etc' but not saying why or citing any laws or what ever, you are not helping at all. i get how you might disagree, but you listed not real reasons/arguments. reasons/arguments is what i'm looking for.

There are some, limited situations in which the law permits an individual to be held responsible for the court fees of the other party. These situations are limited to particular types of cases, particular courts and to a certain degree particular states. The law will state, "You can be awarded court costs when a, b and c happen".

Your situation does not fall into these limited situations. There is no law granting you court costs and/or lawyer fees when you are found not guilty of a traffic violation. Because there is no law granting you that right, that right does not exist for you.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast