Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Can Officer Get a Ticket in Court

The way I read the OP, this is all in his anticipation of being found "innocent" (which will not happen, because the correct term is "not guilty" and the two do not mean the same thing) and has not actually happened yet.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    The way I read the OP, this is all in his anticipation of being found "innocent" (which will not happen, because the correct term is "not guilty" and the two do not mean the same thing) and has not actually happened yet.
    Right, got ahead of myself about no trial yet, thanks.

Quote Quoting calvine
    View Post
    help me understand the law, you said, you can't get money back. but you failed to list why.

i'm asking why. give your reasons why, or why not. should u get back the 1000 dollars(rental car, drive, hotel, missed work, lawyer) from dismissed ticket that the judge deemed was the cops error? you didn't list any good reasons why not.
    Look up the term Qualified Immunity. Don't just read and rely on the summaries. You will need to study the law itself and case decisions surrounding it. Then you will need to study state law defining when an officer is allowed to make an arrest (issue a citation) irrespective of whether or not it later turns out a crime actually occurred. You will also have to study the law regarding "reasonable cause" on the part of the officer and how a reasonable belief on his part mitigates any liability when it later turns out he was wrong. It is a lengthy and complicated issue no one is going to take the time to pursue with you in great depth here.

If you really want to learn (rather than debate) go to you local community college and take a semester criminal justice class on criminal law, followed by a second class on arrest, search and seizure. Things should be pretty clear after that. If that is too long for you, consider how difficult it is for us to compress the knowledge gleaned from that into a few paragraphs here and explain it simply enough for you to comprehend.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2