Default How Does Visitation Work When a Parent is Out of the Country

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Pennsylvania. The custody agreement states that father has custody M,W,F evening mother has T, TH, Sun. evening. My question is the father is leaving the country for a week. So during his days in this time period , should the mother be given custody for the days he is out of country? He is planning on having someone watch them during this time.

Default Re: Parent is Leaving on Mission Trip

Is there a Right of First Refusal clause, or something that addresses this in the paperwork?
    Make sure you LOVE your child more than you HATE your ex.

Quote Quoting readytoleave
    View Post
    Is there a Right of First Refusal clause, or something that addresses this in the paperwork?
    No , there is not.

Quote Quoting steelerzd
    View Post
    No , there is not.
    Who is he going to have watching the child? Is it a family member or someone else? Is it someone in his household or someone else?

Also, who gets Saturday? That isn't mentioned in your original post. Whose custody will the child be in the day that dad leaves?

Saturdays are alternated...I am assuming he will his mother watch them on thise days. It just doesnt make sense, although with it being on his normal custodial days, does he get to choose even though he is voluntarily not available to have the kids?

47.606 N 122.332 W in body, still at 90 S in my mind.

Quote Quoting steelerzd
    View Post
    Saturdays are alternated...I am assuming he will his mother watch them on thise days. It just doesnt make sense, although with it being on his normal custodial days, does he get to choose even though he is voluntarily not available to have the kids?
    Yes, he still gets to choose.
    "Where do those stairs go?"
    "They go up!"

Quote Quoting steelerzd
    View Post
    Of course it makes sense. Just like you get to determine who watches your child on you time.

Depending on when he is leaving, you could ask for a modification of the paperwork to include a ROFR clause to alleviate this problem in the future.
    Make sure you LOVE your child more than you HATE your ex.

What would you prefer to do if you were in the same situation? Have you discussed it with him or offered to trade days? It seems like it would be a perfect time to take an extended vacation to visit out of town relatives and give him the same opportunity in the future.

1. Sponsored Links