Default Can a Police Report Be Cancelled

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Arizona

About 2 months ago my friend called 911 on her bf for assult. Or domestic violence. An hour 2 later she called them back and cancelled the report. Is this possible? She said they gave her a confirmation number. I looked up online if a report can be cancelled it said it can't.

Default Re: Can a Police Report Be Cancelled

Quote Quoting Tpatzo2018
    View Post

About 2 months ago my friend called 911 on her bf for assult. Or domestic violence. An hour 2 later she called them back and cancelled the report. Is this possible? She said they gave her a confirmation number. I looked up online if a report can be cancelled it said it can't.
    If the police had not yet arrived then there was no report to cancel. She didn't cancel the report she cancelled the call. The police don't write a report until they get there.

Quote Quoting Tpatzo2018
    View Post

Did the police actually show up?

Quote Quoting Tpatzo2018
    View Post

If the police responded and a report was taken, nope. If they did not respond, then there's no report to cancel.

All that can be done if a report was taken is they can produce a supplement reflecting the fact she does not want to cooperate with the investigation, or whatever new information she provided.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

i think the op is being kept in the dark. If the police never responded why is it an issue? I suspect something is going on even if the op,isn’t aware of it.

police tend to not accept a call back cancellation for domestic violence. I won’t say it never happens but it is unusual.

And a confirmation number regarding the cancellation? What the heck is that supposed to be?. The police could respond regardless of the girl calling back attempting to cancel the request for aid. They aren’t going to provide some confirmation number that has no use.

i think the op is being kept in the dark. If the police never responded why is it an issue? I suspect something is going on even if the op,isn’t aware of it.

police tend to not accept a call back cancellation for domestic violence. I won’t say it never happens but it is unusual.
    I suspect it's more like the woman called the police, told them her BF thumped her, he comes back and makes nice, and now she wants to get them to forget about the whole thing because she loves him and doesn't want him to get into trouble. Ironically, if that's the case, she'll probably be willing to lie (i.e. break the law) in an effort to protect her abuser. Many (most?) victims tend to do so.

And a confirmation number regarding the cancellation? What the heck is that supposed to be?. The police could respond regardless of the girl calling back attempting to cancel the request for aid. They aren’t going to provide some confirmation number that has no use.
    There's generally only 2 types of numbers you'll get when you call the police: A CAD (dispatch or incident) number, or, a report number (which might also be called an "incident" by the agency - terminology varies).
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Not all agencies write paper reports on calls for service, but in their computer system each call generates an Incident Number, which allows them to track call load and activity stats.

It could be that the initial call for service generated an Incident Number. When the person phoned back to cancel, that request was noted on the dispatch log for that call. When the caller asked for some sort of a confirmation or reference number, they were given the Incident Number.

This is common when people call the police to make a report solely because their insurance company requires it in order to make a claim (lost cell phone - date, time and location of loss unknown). Many police departments will not write a report on such matters as losing a cellphone does not usually involve a crime and the police are not a documentation service for the insurance company. In such cases, the dispatcher will often type a note in the dispatch log saying "John Smith called and said he lost his cellphone but didn't know when or where." The dispatch computer will then generate an Incident Number which will be given to the caller to pass on to his insurance company, but no police report will be written.

Chances are good she will be calling the police again.

That's possible

1. Sponsored Links