Exclamation Caught Shoplifting Clothing and Given a Civil Demand

My question involves criminal law for the state of: California [San Jose]

I am 18. Today I shoplifted around $40 (2 items of clothing, I'm not sure what the exact cost was) from Target. Security brought me to the back, where they took my ID, my picture, and my general contact information. I also signed a piece of paper, which I think confirms I shoplifted and was caught for it. The lady told me I would receive a letter in the mail. If I paid it, nothing will go on my record.

I have done research online and there is debate on whether I should pay what is called a civil demand. Some lawyers say it is useless to pay the exorbitant amount of money demanded in the letters and others encourage it. My main concern is to keep a clean record, but I have also heard that whether I pay the civil demand or not doesn't matter. So I have four questions:
    1. For those that are or have been in my situation, around how much will the civil demand be?
    2. What is an estimate of when the letter will arrive?
    3. Should I pay the civil demand letter or ignore it?
    4. Is Target a company that usually files cases like mine? I have heard both that Target is too large to care about a case like mine, and also that their forensics analyst team is the best in the nation and will not hesitate to pursue even the smallest of cases.

Thank you so much for any advice, I have been feeling regretful all day and I doubt the anxiety will go away until this issue is resolved.

Default Re: [Ca] Got Caught Shoplifting at Target,

In CA the law allows for a civil demand of between $50 and $500. My anecdotal experience is that these demands are usually in the $350-$400 range. As for WHEn the demand letter will arrive, who knows? I suspect it'll be within 60 days, but that's just a guess.

It is entirely up to you whether you want to ignore it or not. Keep in mind that not only can the business sue you for the money, they can also still call the police. If that happens you could face lawyers fees, jail time, restitution, AND a civil demand. Your call on how lucky you feel.

Whether Target will pursue it or not, I cannot say.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

1. Sponsored Links