Default How to Quickly Remove a Vehicle Registration Hold

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Florida

Ok, so long story short, an ex of mine apparently got a ticket back in the start of 2018 with a traffic camera. I found out when I went to renew my registration. There is now a hold on it.

After a bunch of calls to multiple organizations, I finally come to find out the ticket was handed over to a collection agency! What was originally a $158 ticket is now something a collection agency is asking $410 for! Their "collection fee" alone is 40% on top of the fee when they received it. NO idea why it jumped up so much, but for a red light violation, this is insane.

I have four children to provide for and do not have $410 currently. Since my ex-wife passed away at the start of this year, without child support from her, I am struggling just to pay the bills for my family, let alone extra because of something she did last year with my vehicle.

I am not sure the best way to handle this, as I do a LOT of driving (work mostly), and am concerned of getting tickets because of an expired registration now. I do want to eventually handle the ticket, but am desperate for a quick fix in the meantime so I don't accrue a bunch of tickets while I try to re-open the case, fight it (if even possible), etc.

I contacted some organizations that handle traffic tickets, but all of them charge a minimum of a $350 retainer, and no guarantee they will even be able to get the case dropped. Not only can I not afford the $350 currently, but I could end up having to pay the full $410 still on top of that if they can't fix it.

A friend of mine suggested I report the plate as "lost," and re-register the vehicle. However, I have a feeling the registration hold will be on the vehicle itself and not just the plate, correct? I also know that is shady, but again, I have my kids to provide for here, and until I can pay that $410 or re-open the case, I am desperate to do something to fix this immediately. If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears. The most I have to spare currently for some type of fix is around $100. Even then, it's going to mean that I eat ramen noodles for the next couple weeks. Please help us.

Default Re: Registration Hold in Florida and Need It Fixed Asap

Look up the phrase "between a rock and a hard place" and you'll see your picture.

The car registration goes by the VIN, not the plate. Reporting the plate lost won't help you.

You can't have it both ways. You either find the money now or you're guaranteed to get pulled over once the expiration date on your tags passes. You might even get your car impounded.

Try Go Fund Me. You plight may get you some sympathy money to cover the fee.

It seems to me you should work with DMV on this. In California, members of the legislature's lower chamber offer help with state agencies to their constituents. You might wanna try reaching out to the office of your member of FL House of Representatives. It might help if you explain why you never received the notice of violation in the first place.

What city/county did this incident occur in?

1. Sponsored Links