Default Missouri - Sale of Remodeled Home with Significant Other

My question involves personal property located in the State of: Missouri.

My ex-significant other, at the time, and I had decided I would do major remodel work on the home that we bought together. I paid for a substantial amount of the down payment and I remodeled the majority of the home (floors, walls, kitchen remodel, bathroom remodels, carpets, paint, etc).

She has sold the home and made close to $30k based on the work that I have done to the home (she did no work).

I spent $7,500 on my credit cards, I contributed a substantial amount of the down payment and I invested months of my time in doing the remodel work itself.

I did the work only under the assumption that the profit would be split, upon sale. Now she's claiming that I'm owed absolutely nothing (not even my expenses) and refusing to pay.

I'm weighing my options between a real law suit (with a lawyer) and doing the small claims for the maximum of $5k.

I would guess that what seems like an open and shut case would be worthwhile for me to do with a lawyer, but I've spent gobs of money on a lawyer and gotten absolutely nothing in return previously, so I'm hesitant to go that route.

Here are my questions:

1.) Is my case very strong, like I think it is?

2.) What's an estimated timeline for a case using a lawyer?

3.) What's a range of costs if I hire a lawyer?

4.) What' an estimate timeline for small claims?

5.) Is small claim faster and easier usually?

Kind regards.

Default Re: Missouri - Sale of Remodeled Home with Significant Other

Who actually owned the home? Who was on the title as owner?

I was trying to say that she and I bought it while a couple and I contributed the majority of the down payment with my funds.

No, my name was not on the deed and we were not married. Neither of us believe in marriage, but we were together for 3 years.

Quote Quoting missouriquestions
    View Post
    I was trying to say that she and I bought it while a couple and I contributed the majority of the down payment with my funds.

No, my name was not on the deed and we were not married. Neither of us believe in marriage, but we were together for 3 years.
    If your name wasn’t on the deed then no, WE didn’t buy it. She bought it.

If you a valid claim will depend on the agreement the two of you had.

Why did you give money toward a home when you were getting no interest in it?

Just to go into a little more detail:

In 2016 she and I did the same to another house. So, this isn't the first home that we did it to. I invested a ton of time into the other house and was paid $10k for that work based on a considerable amount paid out on that house.

I think that he might have a hard time getting anything for his labor, but the money he spent on his credit cards and the money he put towards the down payment are a different story, in my opinion. Particularly since it appears that they did this once before.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I think that he might have a hard time getting anything for his labor, but the money he spent on his credit cards and the money he put towards the down payment are a different story, in my opinion. Particularly since it appears that they did this once before.
    Perhaps...It's mind boggling that people would go into a house flipping biz together without a written contract. And if OP was paying toward the down payment...why the heck wouldn't he be on the deed?? (rhetorical question )

Did you live in the home during this period of remodeling?

When you say you did the work "under the assumption that the profit would be split", does that mean that you never asked and she never offered?

How long before the sale did you and your ex- break up?

Quote Quoting missouriquestions
    View Post
    In 2016 she and I did the same to another house. So, this isn't the first home that we did it to. I invested a ton of time into the other house and was paid $10k for that work based on a considerable amount paid out on that house.
    Did you have a formal agreement for that home? Did you and she live in the home during the remodeling?

1. Sponsored Links