Default Neighbor Destroyed Part of My Land

My question involves personal property located in the State of: North Carolina

A developer recently bought land bordering my property and has been using a machine to clear land to build a subdivision. Because he failed to clearly mark his property boundaries (despite getting a survey), he clear cut a large swath of my land. I am wondering what my legal options are.

Default Re: Neighbor Destroyed Part of My Land

He didn't destroy your land. He damaged your property by cutting whatever he cut.

But yes, you have options. Get an estimate from a professional(s) on what it would cost to put it back as it was. Then send him a demand letter for that amount. Depending on the amount you may want to have a lawyer write the letter for you.

Thank you, PayrolGuy!

North Carolina has a statute that can result in a double damages award for the unauthorized cutting of valuable timber, NCGS Sec. 1-539.1. It's possible that the trees and shrubbery on your land were of little value, but if they had value as timber that may be a way to increase the value of your claim.

Without knowing more about the land, it's difficult to say what the damages would be from the clearing of the land, or whether the proper measure of damages might be something other than the cost of restoration, such as diminution in value.

1. Sponsored Links